cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folders taking up all my storage - How do I get out of shared folders?

Shared folders taking up all my storage - How do I get out of shared folders?

stoes40toes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've run out of storage and its because of others sharing folders with me.  How do I get out of shared folders?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You definitely have one or more shared folders that are taking up the majority of your space. Go to your Files page and  if you don't see a Members header column, click the Type or Modified column and select Members. Then look for any folder that looks like this:

561a11f657702dfeb558b5cc9e69c0d1.png

If you find any, hover your cursor over the folder to make the Share button appear, then click it. From there you can remove your access to the folder and remove it from your account.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Welcome to our Forum @stoes40toes

From what I understand you have run out of quota (available space on your Dropbox account) and you'd like to remove your access from shared folders to free up some space.

Keep in mind that you can always see how much space you currently use on your account's plan page and in general, when your Dropbox account is over quota then only syncing stops. Nothing will be removed and syncing will resume should you bring your account under quota again. There are a few ways to do this:

1. Upgrade your account.  You can take a look here for more information.

2. Increase your quota using referrals bonuses or other promotions.

3. Leave any shared folders that put you over quota by removing your access to them following the steps outlined on this page

4. Move files that don't need to sync out of your Dropbox folder using the desktop application on a connected computer. 

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions about any of these.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

KH-MLC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have deleted files of my own, PLUS disconnected my access from shared folders--and still my free dropbox is full. It's as though I haven't deleted anything at all (and yes, they're all still present under deleted folders.)

I am an infrequent user, don't want to add a paid account to my monthly bills, and don't have the time to chat a lot online about Dropbox features & problems. I just want to delete unused files to free up some space in my free account. But no matter how many files I delete my Dropbox account remains too full to create new files, and anything I do next requires me to upgrade to a paid account.

How do I delete files to free up space for myself to use?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You delete them to make enough free space.

If you are 10gb over quota, for example, deleting 100 files which total 1gb wont be enough. You need to delete enough files to reduce your quota.

www.dropbox.com/account will show you how much over quota you are

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KH-MLC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As I said, I have deleted most of my files, and have removed access to all files that have been shared with me. Still, my space says it's used up. My files take up 476 MB (which is actually MORE than before I deleted files--so must be including my deleted folders?? I don't know) and 2.26 GB in shared files. (Even though I no longer have any access to shared files.) So this looks like Dropbox just wants me to start paying no matter what?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No. It isnt that they want you to pay..... The share bit answers the question 🙂

You removed access to the shares but didnt select the option to remove the actual files. So in your account you are losing space because of that.

Delete THOSE files and then you will get that space (2.26gb) back

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @KH-MLC  - thanks for using out Forum to post your question!

Did you get the chance to review Mark's suggestion? Did this work for you now?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

KH-MLC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

No. At this point I have removed all my shared folders. I've reduced my use of Dropbox to become almost pointless. And my Dropbox is still full and I can't do anything unless I upgrade to a pay-per month.

All my deleted shared files are still in Show Deleted Files, but no way to "empty the trash," so to speak. So my account remains full.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Deleted files and folders don't count against your storage quota, so there's no need to "empty the trash" as you say. If your Plan page is showing that you're still over your storage quota, then there are still files in your Dropbox that are taking up space.

Look at your Plan page and find this section. What does it show you? Provide a screenshot if you're able.

16d4ca5d5f0f6d12b5d15243e0cccd0e.png

KH-MLC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox.png

OK at this point I'm starting to feel a bit stupid...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ReluctantUserJC Helpful | Level 7
    Fluffmeister1 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?