Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Too many files. Please use the desktop application? But I can't..

New member | Level 1

My workflow

I have all my photos backed up through Camera Uploads. I take a lot of screenshots and like having them instantly available on my computer.

Issue 1

The camera uploads folder was taking up too much space on my laptop.

My temp sol'n

I created another folder where I moved all my previous camera uploads and called it camera uploads backup. Then using selective sync I don;t sync that to my computer. So I can still get photos/screenshots from my phone instantly available on my computer and then every so often I move them to the backup that's not synced on device.

Issue 2

My camera uploads backup folder is so large that I can't perform any operations on it on the web. I can't open it. I can't rename it. The message directs me to use the desktop application. But that means I have to sync them back to my computer which will fill up the hard disk. So.. I'm stuck with files inaccessible?

5 Replies

Re: Too many files. Please use the desktop application? But I can't..

New member | Level 2

How many files are ion it, we have a folder with over 100,000 files and we can open that on the web, so how many do you have?

New member | Level 2

PS: web interface cantr deal with more than 10,000 files in any one action.

New member | Level 1

How do I find out how many files are in the folder?

New member | Level 1

Ive got the same issue. How did you resolve it Miki?

I just want to rename one folder, but it just wont let me. And i cant download all the files on my computer again to change the name in my finder/dropbox app.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

I had a similar issue with a non-syncing full iPhoto backup that had too many files in it to allow a rename through the web interface. One possible difference in my situation is that I was able to access the files in this folder and its subfolders from the web-interface, I just couldn't rename it. What worked for me was to:

1) using the web interface: I created a series of three new folders titled "iPhoto Backup 200X to 200X"

2) using the desktop application: I set these new folders as non-syncing

3) using the web interface: I copied the data from the too large folder to the new non-syncing folders in smaller chunks. My too large iPhoto backup was already conveniently organized into sub-folders by year, so this was a very easy process (right click on the subfolder and select the "move" function from the pop-up list). I suppose it would have been a much more arduous process if the individual image files had been loose in the original folder.

The result was three folders which each had fewer than the maximum allowable number of files in them.

One note: when I tested the 'rename' function on the original folder I was readily able to rename it but this seemed to initiate a sync of the renamed folder with my desktop. This didn't matter too much to me as this folder was, by this  point, mostly empty however it suggests caution when renaming non-syncing folders. The renaming process may invalidate the sync setting in the desktop preferences.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Too many files. Please use the desktop application? But I can't..
5 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey