Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Trying to restore, but get "Too many files. Please use the desktop application."

New member | Level 1

I have an event of 50,000 files being deleted.

I am trying to restore them, but get the error message "Too many files. Please use the desktop application." from the web app.

Anyone know how to fix this?

24 Replies

Re: Trying to restore, but get "Too many files. Please use the desktop application."

Super User

Do what it suggested to do. Install the Desktop client and link to that account and try again

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Re: Trying to restore, but get "Too many files. Please use the desktop application."

New member | Level 1

@Dave H. : contact www.dropbox.com\support installing the desktop client will do NOTHING for you.
Inform support of every bit of info you have including the error message, only they can assist in performing that rollback.

New member | Level 1

The desktop client, which was already installed (current version, etc) was of ZERO help.

Instead I was able to manually restore the files, folder by painful folder, by following this:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/400?oref=e#single

New member | Level 1

Yeah the web interface packs up and goes home to have a cry, at around 10,000 files in one transaction, so there is no method of restore for 50,000 files. The message you get is just the generic fall back for transaction to large for web interface, that you can not perform the transaction on the desktop client seems to have been missed by someone in the testing department.

New member | Level 1

I have the same problem.

I see all these comments are back in May. Is there no solution?

New member | Level 1

Absolutely pointless limitation of browser client. I have a folder with a lot of files, when I want to move it, I get "too many files, install desktop client". But I don't want to sync all those files to my computer, so this folder is excluded in Selective sync. It is even bigger then amount of free space on my drive, that's why I need dropbox.

New member | Level 1

I just accidentally deleted 50,000 files. I cannot restore. Please help.

Super User

Have you done anything that was suggested here?  see 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/296

https://www.dropbox.com/help/400

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

New member | Level 2

I have this problem too. When reconfiguring a computer, I by accident deleted a large number of files, and I am not able to get them back. The list on the web said more than 50.000 files deleted. After having restored some from another copy, there are a little less than 50.000. I cannot even go down in the folder structure, and restore folder by folder.

One reason for using Dropbox as I do, was that I belived I could restore files deleted by accident. Now, when I need this feature, Dropbox does not deliver on its promises.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Trying to restore, but get "Too many files. Please use the desktop application."
24 Replies
15 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post