cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update payment information

Unable to update payment information

Nweindav
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am on an annual subscription to dropbox.  My payment was set up to automatically paid upon renew with my credit card. Since my last renewal my credit card was updated with a new expiration date.  Dropbox declined my payment. While I tried countless times, I was unable to update my credit card information on their website.  I had at least five chat sessions with sales (the only drobbox personel you can have live communication with) and they were totally unable and unequipped to provide any support.  Technical support is only done through online requests. I deleted cookies and cleared my cache as suggested in the community help center with no success. I logged in using "incognito" on the Chrome browser as recommended, with no success.  I submitted a formal tech support request and got a ticket#. I am waiting for a reply.  It has only been a day.  It is totally impossible to talk with anyone in technical support (no phone numbers except for sales) or to use the chat line to speak with a technician. There is no way to get in touch with anyone at drobox who can accept a payment if you are unable to update your payment information online. Like a monkey with a typewriter, I finally changed my payment option from Visa to Paypal. The transaction was processed immediately. Ironically, my Paypal account is linked to the same Visa credit card I was so frustratingly trying to use to make the payment.

If you are having the same problem let dropbox know.  Maybe they will make it easier to communicate with tech support when there is a problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Amanaman, it would be worth noting that we have limited visibility to the possible causes of a failed payment on our tools, since your bank or payment vendor keeps that information hidden for your protection. As this inquiry pertains to sensitive information that can’t be discussed on the Community, we usually advise discussing payment-related concerns through our Official Support channel. 

Because I understand that you wish to resolve that asap on your end, I ran a search on our system, I located your open Support request there & I could see that a specialized technician replied back to you earlier today within the day. 

Please do let me know here if you haven’t been able to locate their message or you need further assistance in any way & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

ShawnColes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Have the same exact problem. Need to change Credit cards on my account and the website just won't let you.

ChoonHwee
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Have the same issue updating my payment method. Dropbox really have to resolving this issue or I will have to choose other cloud storage options.

Fearg
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm sorry we're not making it easy to pay us! :see_no_evil:

It sounds like though if you have tried a few times to update your payment information that you may be hitting a payment request limit. While this limit exists for your protection it can get in the way sometimes.

This limit should reset after 24hrs but if it does not please submit a support request and we will be able to help update your billing:

http://bit.ly/cm-support

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

kalittle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's January and they still haven't fixed it, nor will they reply to my email about the problem. Luckily, I stumbled across this post and decided to pay with Paypal, and it took the payment right away. I was also about to change storage providers, because I don't believe in having to chase a company to take my money. Need something with at least a basic level of support.

ccodlin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the exact same problem. This is insane. It's as though Dropbox is begging me to move my storage to another provider.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey ccodlin

That's not right, we don't want you to go! Let's see what we can do to have this sorted. 

As a first step, could you try accessing your Account page through an incognito browsing window and see if the payment gets through from there? 

If this persists, please let me know in your reply! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Amanaman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nearly two and a half years later, this problem is STILL going on... It is deeply disturbing to me that this comapny remains at war with customers who are trying to give it money. I am actively looking to take our business elsewhere, because this level of incompetence is unacceptable, and a sign that we should not be trusting our data with these people. Sorry not sorry.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Amanaman, it would be worth noting that we have limited visibility to the possible causes of a failed payment on our tools, since your bank or payment vendor keeps that information hidden for your protection. As this inquiry pertains to sensitive information that can’t be discussed on the Community, we usually advise discussing payment-related concerns through our Official Support channel. 

Because I understand that you wish to resolve that asap on your end, I ran a search on our system, I located your open Support request there & I could see that a specialized technician replied back to you earlier today within the day. 

Please do let me know here if you haven’t been able to locate their message or you need further assistance in any way & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

DiogoRSP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm not beeing able to update my subcription and I can't understand why. Basically, my card expired and I should update the information with the new card, but it is not letting me do it. What can I do?

PS: I've tried to use "incognito" but it does not work too.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Shinoda Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    MaryHenry New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?