Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

We've deleted files but we're still over the space limit?

New member | Level 2

We have recieved a notification that the storage is full. We went and deleted files and sharing folders. We deleted quite a bit of files and then went in deleted folder and deleted everything in that folder. We still have the same notification that our storage is full. What do we need to do to get the space we freed up to register?

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: We've deleted files but we're still over the space limit?

Dropboxer
Hi there @SpitzLaw

As a first step, could you please navigate to the Plan tab on the website and see how much space is being reported as available and occupied by personal/shared content?

If you find that you’re still over the storage limit, you can check the size of your files and folders through the website:
If you see that you’re not over the quota limit, don’t hesitate to get back to me. 

Let me know what you find! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I saw the following response to the above question ("We've deleted files but we're still over the space limit?"):

"As a first step, could you please navigate to the Plan tab on the website and see how much space is being reported as available and occupied by personal/shared content?

If you find that you’re still over the storage limit, you can check the size of your files and folders through the website:

Well, none of that is helpful at all. Yes, the site says that I'm over the storage limit, but how does that make sense when I just deleted GBs of material?

I just dumped a bunch of stuff I'd like to have kept, just to make room for what I need to do my job. But Dropbox doesn't acknowledge any change in space. Please help!

Re: We've deleted files but we're still over the space limit?

Dropboxer
Hi there @nbutlerdidit

The first step to checking how much space is available or taken up in your Dropbox account is by having a look at the Plan tab. Since you see from there that:

@nbutlerdidit wrote:
the site says that I'm over the storage limit

However, to see if your deletions took place, you can check out your events page, which lists all changes that occurred to your account. 

I also wanted to mention that, in the case that you’re also permanently deleting files, since deleted files don't count against your storage quota, permanently deleting them won’t free up storage

Nonetheless, I’d be more than happy to further assist if you see a discrepancy, in which case, could you please provide me with some more details and a screenshot (without personal info) illustrating the discrepancy you’re seeing from your end? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post