Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

When I changed email address and password - I've lost my 6.75GB original box

Explorer | Level 3

I had a 6.75 GB box a few minutes ago.  I attempted to change the email address that worked.  After that I changed the password.  Next time I logged in a new box was created with 2GB.  Is there a way to get my data back?  Please HELP!!!

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: When I changed email address and password - I've lost my 6.75GB original box

Dropboxer

Hey @robot120

Sorry to hear about this situation. 

Allow me to explain that there is no way for Dropbox to either remove space you have earned or create a new account, from the option "reset password" or "change email". Seems like you do have a new account, since you are describing it only reports 2 GB. grimacing face

Could you kindly check and let me know what you see in the events and the files page? If these report empty we definitely have a new account. Did you maybe leave the 6,75GB account inactive for more than 12 months? thinking face

If you did, it might be deleted due to inactivity and then the system would let you create a new account with the same email address. You can read about this here. 

All I can suggest in this case is to contact our support team directly. If they can investigate further seeing more details about the account in question. 

Wish I could investigate further via this thread. 

Hope this info sheds some light. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Highlighted

Re: When I changed email address and password - I've lost my 6.75GB original box

Explorer | Level 3

Suggetions were tried without success, however, I had been logged into my account on another system.  At that machine I was able to reach the server and verify the email address.

Next day I tried to install dropbox but when Itried to enter my account info the invalid email or password was incorrect.  How can this be fixed?

Super User

Hello @robot120, As Fiona mentioned, sounds like you have created two diffrent dropbox accounts. Do you have access to the email account that you were using before (with 6.75 GB account)? If yes, then try to login using your previous email. In case the passwords does not work, you can try to reset - https://www.dropbox.com/forgot and you will receive password reset instructions in your previous email inbox if there is still an account associated with previous email (which it seems like). 

Dropboxer

Hey there again! slightly smiling face

Happy to see this response. Since you recently had access to the account recently the account is not deleted due to inactivity! grinning face So that alone is good news and we will help you access it every way that we can. 

As @Elixir correctly suggested, if you have access to the email address of this account, please try resetting your password. 

If you don't see a reset password email in your emails inbox, check your spam folder, add no-reply@dropbox.com to your email's contact list and try a password reset again. This should allow the email go through. envelope

Hope this helps you access your account @robot120

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

When I changed email address and password - I've lost my 6.75GB original box
4 Replies
0 Likes