Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Where does Dropbox get contacts

Explorer | Level 3

I am not well versed on how Dropbox works.  When I try to share a DB file, I get a”contact list” that baffles me.  It has email adds for people that I communicate with and includes a garbled address for myself.  How the garbled address got there is a mystery.  I

I want to sync with my gmail contacts.  When I go to Google for help, the first thing I see is “click or tap avatar”.  There is no avatar on my DB home page.

10 Replies

Re: Where does Dropbox get contacts

Dropboxer

Hello @rbdaves!

I'll start with welcoming you to our Community. grinning face

Great question! Contacts can be associated with your account in any of the following ways:

1. You shared a folder/file/Paper doc with a Dropbox account
  2. A Dropbox account shared a folder/file/Paper doc with you
  3. You @mentioned a Dropbox account in a file comment or a Paper comment
  4. A Dropbox account @mentioned you in a file comment or a Paper comment
  5. You invited someone to use Dropbox
  6. A Dropbox account invited you to use Dropbox
  7. You imported contacts from a connected service (such as Gmail or Yahoo!)
  8. You were previously a member of a Dropbox team — your old team members will be in your contacts
  9. You took part in the Dropbox Space Race — other participating Dropbox accounts from your university will be in your contacts

It's really easy to import your contacts from Gmail or Outlook. Here are the steps.   

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click your avatar (profile picture on your top right).
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Click Connected apps.
  5. Click Connect next to the service you want to import contacts from.

Please note: Dropbox can't share or edit your contacts in any way. 

Read more about your contacts list in Dropbox.

Let me know if this response was helpful and of course if you have any further questions. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

I have tried to reply but it just disappeared.   The suggestion was just a reprint from another misleading source.

Explorer | Level 3

I need a "by the numbers" set of instructions that work on how to edit dropbox's contacts

Super User II

@rbdaves wrote:

I need a "by the numbers" set of instructions that work on how to edit dropbox's contacts

@Fiona already provided that in her reply above. There is no way to edit a contact, but you can remove them and then re-add them. Follow the information in the help article that Fiona linked to above.

Explorer | Level 3

When I tap on the Dropbox icon on my Ipad, I get sent to a page that does not have my avatar on it.  It shows "recent files" and a menu across the bottom for "home" ,"files", "create" and "account".  I had to do a fresh browser sign on and was then taken to another "home page" where I found my avatar and was able to follow Fiona's post.  

Dropboxer

We are glad to know that you managed to locate the article @rbdaves

Please have in mind that your Ipad's browser cannot preview a page online the same way a computer browser would.  I can suggest to have the mobile app downloaded, if you wish. Mobile Dropbox files will not take up space from your Ipad device, if not offline.

In this specific case the steps could only be followed using the web version of Dropbox, so you did great. 

If you need anything else, we are all here for you. (Thanks for your input @Rich! White check mark )

I wish you both to have a lovely week! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3
My issue is that Dropbox does not and will not add my email address to its contacts. I have “shared” a file with myself several times using the web version of Dropbox. When I type in my first name, a list shows up for about 10 Emails that have “ron” in them, e .g. “ronx@gmail.com”. Even though I have typed in MY email address when sharing several times, it never shows up on the list. I have a gmail address that does show up on the contacts list, but the Yahoo address that I have shared with is NEVER there.

Explorer | Level 3
The email address that NEVER shows up on the contacts list is the same one I use to sign in to DB.

Explorer | Level 3
Maybe the problem is that I can’t share a file with myself, so I need to use a different email address than the one that is in my dropbox profile. I will go with that.
Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Where does Dropbox get contacts
10 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post