Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Why do I need space on my hard drive to store files?

New member | Level 2

why do I need hard drive space to store the files that are in drop box when it is cloud based?

7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Hard Drive space

Super User II

Because Dropbox is not cloud-based in the way that you think it is. You've misunderstood how Dropbox works.

Dropbox is not a cloud-based storage system, where your files only exist in the cloud. Dropbox is a file synchronization service, meant to keep a copy of the files that you have on your computer in-sync with your account online and any other computer you've linked to your account. The Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other, and it exists on your local hard drive. Anything you place in it will take up space on your computer.

If you want to save space on your local hard drive, you can choose to remove specific folders from your local Dropbox using Selective Sync. The local copy of the folder will be deleted immediately, leaving the online copy intact. You would then access such folders through the Dropbox website.

New member | Level 2
Thanks for clarifying! So does iCloud work in the same way or is are files purely saved in the cloud?

Super User II
You would have to ask Apple.

New member | Level 2

Finally! I used to think that Dropbox IS a cloud based storage! And now I understand why they worried when I'd deleted almost all the folders from my computer and then they sent me an email about it. I could lose my information 8-0 

New member | Level 2

i have this problem too,either i want save this page هارد اکسترنال  and اسپینر on dropbox,how i can do this,anyone know how can i can solve this problem?

Super User II

janebi wrote:

i have this problem too,either i want save this page هارد اکسترنال  and اسپینر on dropbox,how i can do this,anyone know how can i can solve this problem?

That's a function of your web browser; not Dropbox. You should have a save function in your browser. Use it and specify the Dropbox folder on your computer for the save location.

Dropboxer

Hey @janebi

If it's not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

[This thread is now closed. If you experience further issues, feel free to get back in touch here, we'd be glad to follow-up. ]

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why do I need space on my hard drive to store files?
7 Replies
24 Likes
Solved! : See solution