cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox space reduced?

Why was my Dropbox quota reduced?

Rachel L.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I alternate between using Dropbox on my laptop (Windows 10), and the Dropbox Android app on my tablet.

I just started up Dropbox on my laptop and got a Windows notification saying my Dropbox space had been "reduced." ? I couldn't tell by how much, though; it listed 1000-something GB, which seems like how much space I should have, since I'm on the paid 1TB plan. I checked the settings in the desktop app and it says I'm using 2.0% of 1,027.2GB (site says I'm using 20.99GB out of 1TB). I don't know if that's the exact amount of GB space I had before, but I know I was using up 2% earlier, so that hasn't changed.

I checked my account settings, I'm not due to renew my subscription until June. Still on the paid plan.

Checked my deleted files on the Dropbox site; nothing recent. I hadn't even made any changes to any files between now and the last time I used Dropbox, so I don't know why I'd suddenly get this notification. I can't even tell by how much it was supposedly reduced? (The notification disappeared as soon as I read it.) I have no notifications on the Dropbox site or in the desktop app. (Haven't checked my tablet yet.)

Any idea what might have prompted this or what it means? Is it something to do with Windows rather than Dropbox? If so, what? There's no chance I've lost any files? (They're all saved to my hard drive, but in the Dropbox folder.)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Did you have any promo space on your account?

That is usually time limited - www.dropbox.com/events may show it

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Did you have any promo space on your account?

That is usually time limited - www.dropbox.com/events may show it

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rachel L.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I have no idea what promo space is. 😕 When I clicked the link you provided, though, it does say, "Your quota was decreased to 1 TB. Yesterday 11:36 PM." It gives no further details.

I thought the paid plan was 1TB to begin with? So I'm not sure how much I lost, or what it was from. The last time I added any space to my account was when I switched to the paid plan last June.

EDIT, ah, wait! I looked under "Plan" for my account. It says there was a 25GB "HP promotion" for "HP + Dropbox" 4/28/2017 and it's expired. I don't quite recall what that was but that must be it.

Thank you!

ManuG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What's the default space on Dropbox? because suddenly mine is not sync anymore as apparently it's full but I only have 3.25GB on it! I'm sure it used to be 10GB of free space?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The default free account is 2gb or 2.5gb if you were referred by somebody.

dolphinleaver
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It looks to me that it is time to move to Google Drive. 

Mine got suddenly reduced for no reason and now it can't sync my documents. No worries but unfortunately for Dropbox there are many easy alternatives

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@dolphinleaver wrote:

Mine got suddenly reduced for no reason and now it can't sync my documents.

There's always a reason and if you follow Mark's information above, you'll likely see what the reduction was from. It was likely a space promotion that expired, either from a mobile device or HP, Dell, etc.

Tammy Workman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

over the years I referred so many people I had earned extra space - I have now been reduced and files I could once open I am no longer "eligible" to open!!! ANd so unless I pay more my files are hostage  😞  wth - so much for earned space

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Tammy Workman wrote:

over the years I referred so many people I had earned extra space - I have now been reduced ...

Space earned from referrals is permanent. You don't lose it. If you've had a reduction in space then it was likely from some other time limited bonus, such as that from a mobile device, certain computer brands or some other promotion.

Also, a reduction is space doesn't prevent you from opening any files. There is no "eligibility" for open files you store in Dropbox. Your files are your files, and Dropbox cannot prevent you from using them.

Need more support?