Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Will I be credited any referral space if the invitee had already installed & uninstalled the app?

Level 4

How can I invite a friend, who uninstalled Dropbox a day ago? Dropbox tells me this friend is already a member.

Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: re-using dropbox

Dropboxer
Hey @Ruud2 , it’s my understanding that you‘re enquiring about the space granted through referrals, is that right? If so, I’d like to thank you for referring your friends & colleagues to Dropbox; I’d happily explain matters for you below! 

While you can quickly check back on the extra space you’ve gathered & the Referral status on your Plan tab (i.e. under the View more earned space link), it’s worth noting that you should both be credited the bonus space if they’ve Completed the steps listed in the resource I linked above. That said, if they had already installed the desktop app, you should see them registered as “Ineligible”, so it would be best for you to invite someone who hasn’t done so already.

Hopefully my message sheds a bit of light & please do let me know here if I’ve misunderstood your question in any way or in case you need further assistance. Thanks for checking in with us on the Community! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Will I be credited any referral space if the invitee had already installed & uninstalled the

Level 4

Hi Jane, 

Thank you for your quick answer. Unfortunately my direct reply didn't reach you. It is not the extra space I am concerned about. I advised my friend to uninstall while she is no longer able to upload in our shared box. I think something went wrong there, because it is certainly not the limit.

She did so. Now I try to invite her to join dropbox, but it says that she is already a member. Is there a time to wait before it can be done?

Ruud

Re: Will I be credited any referral space if the invitee had already installed & uninstalled the

Super User II

You cannot invite her to join Dropbox (and thus gain referral space) if she already is a member I'm afraid @Ruud2 .

Uninstalling the software does not close or delete the account. It simply removes the software from the computer. 

Even deleting the account and rejoining wouldnt gain you new space as the system knows she's already been signed up before.

I'm afraid in this instance there is no way to now get the referral space. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Super User II

@Ruud2 wrote:

It is not the extra space I am concerned about. I advised my friend to uninstall while she is no longer able to upload in our shared box. I think something went wrong there, because it is certainly not the limit.

Are you sure she didn't reach her limit? Remember, just because you have additional space available and are (I'm assuming) the owner of the share, doesn't mean that she has enough space available within her own account to upload to it.

She can only upload within the limits of her own account, so it's very possible that while you still have space available, she has run out and wouldn't be able to upload to the share anymore.

As Mark mentioned, uninstalling doesn't delete an account. She still has an account so you can't re-invite her to Dropbox. She needs to simply reinstall the Dropbox client and sign back in again.

Level 4
Thank you gor your answer. Indeed she signed back in and has just enough space now to share.
Ruud
Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Will I be credited any referral space if the invitee had already installed & uninstalled the app?
5 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post