Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

how to use dropbox for safe holding of a database

New member | Level 1

I want somewhere to keep my Endnote database safe.  Is Dropbox suitable and if so how do I do it?

5 Replies

Re: how to use dropbox for safe holding of a database

Super User alumni

It entirely depends on your use case - will you be using the database while its in the Dropbox folder, and if so, will you be using the database from multiple locations?

If the answer is yes to either of those questions, then I wouldn't do it - Dropbox is *not* intended as a network transport layer, you really need to be using the proper Endnote library syncing services.

If you are just talking about an offline backup of the Endnote database, then thats fine.

New member | Level 1

Sounds as though I'm OK then.  I only want it as a safe place to keep my database for fear of having it just on my PC and a memory stick in the house. But I'd still welcome advice as to what I upload and how I then open it should the worst occur and I lose either of these copies.  I don't intend to use the dropbox version to do anything, but just as a safe backup. Using the endnote sync service seems OK but a lot of your customisation doesn't get synced, only the entries 'raw'. Thanks for your advice. 

New member | Level 1

It cause corruption occasionally. 

Dropbox is not compatible with EndNote.

New member | Level 2

I have used Dropbox to sync my large Endnote library for almost three years now, and it works like a charm.  I add pdf files or create citation references on a computer at the office, and the Endnote library on my laptop at home is updated, and vice versa.  Automatic backup.  

I have been doing this against the advice of Dropbox who told me at the time that I'm doing it at my own risk.  But after almost three years, I haven't had a single problem.  

Context:  I'm working on Mac computers, and have a large Endnote database (over 8000 entries, mostly with PDFs and such).  

Dropboxer
Hey @CanyonKid

Thanks for jumping in here and sharing your experience with this! I’m glad to hear that you’ve been running smoothly for so long slightly smiling face

Cheers

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

how to use dropbox for safe holding of a database
5 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post