Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

"Viewing long file names in Dropbox browser version" is no longer solved due to Dropbox update

Helpful | Level 6

This post concerns the Dropbox web interface.  It is a follow-up post to https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Manage-account/Viewing-long-file-names-in-Dropbox-browser-version/td....

The original problem was that the Dropbox web interface (e.g., https://www.dropbox.com/home) hides parts of a file name if it thinks there is insufficient space to display the full name.  I temporarily solved this with a user CSS style that forced file names to be displayed completely, using word wrap as needed.  A moderator marked my post as an "Accepted solution" and closed the thread.

However, a recent Dropbox update changed the way that file names are hidden.   It now directly deletes file name text from the page, and my fix no longer works.  User styles cannot unhide data that is removed entirely.  I guess Dropbox is strongly opposed to users being able to read long file names.

Would a moderate please *unmark* my post in the above-linked thread as an "accepted solution"?  Due to Dropbox's actions, it is no longer a solution, and I would prefer that my work not be misrepresented as such.

4 Replies

Re: "Viewing long file names in Dropbox browser version" is no longer solved due to Dropbo

Super User II
As the post was valid a year ago and marked as a solution then that thread is now locked and no longer editable.

All you can do is, as you have done, start a new thread saying it no longer works.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: "Viewing long file names in Dropbox browser version" is no longer solved due to Dropbo

Dropboxer
I appreciate it a lot that you circled back here, in order to keep the Community updated John P.38!

As per your request, I’ve now un-marked your post as a Solution, so other users having the same question may see the post, though they’ll be redirected to your newest reply here. I’ve also added a brief note informing them of your latest comment, so as to keep everything neat. 

Please don’t hesitate to reach back out at any time & we’ll do our best to follow-up wth you. Take care until we talk again John! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6
Thank you. I appreciate your help.

New member | Level 2

Has anything been done regarding this issue? I sometimes receive folders of files with specific naming conventions and it's really hard to find the information I need when I can't see the entire file name and clicking through 100s of sheets is pretty rediculous. No matter how the page is sized dropbox does not change the name column width. I even attempted widening the box over both of my monitors and they stayed the same width. Please add this functionality soon as it was pointed out over 2 years ago as an issue.

Dropbox file name issue long.pngExtended across both monitors, file names stay the sameDropbox file name issue.pngStandard window size

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

"Viewing long file names in Dropbox browser version" is no longer solved due to Dropbox update
4 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post