cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[security] Got a Dropbox security code email, but 2-factor verification is *off*. Reasons?

[security] Got a Dropbox security code email, but 2-factor verification is *off*. Reasons?

bertzander
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey

I received the following email yesterday, sent to the email address used for registering my Dropbox account:

Hi [first name]

[6-digit code] is your one-time Dropbox security code.

Happy Dropboxing!
- The Dropbox Team

However, 2-factor authorization is turned off for my account. I just checked it again, 2FA was, and still is, disabled.

A cursory glance at the source suggests the email was sent by Dropbox. I know sender addresses can be spoofed, but the URL in the email was the real one, so I don't see a reason to believe it's a scam/phishing mail.

My question is then:

Are there any other cases (other than on accounts with 2FA enabled) when Dropbox would send a one-time security code by email?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi again to all, I have some more info to share with you on your security-related inquiry that will shed some light on why you received this email from us. 

I can confirm that the email that you have received is a legitimate email from Dropbox. You were sent this message because you have recently attempted to log in to your account. You will need to enter this verification code to complete the sign in process.

We have implemented this to prevent abuse on your account. If you continue to receive these emails and you are not attempting to log in, we would recommend changing the email address connected to your account and securing your account by doing the following:

#1. If you haven't done so already, you can change your Dropbox account password, which you can do by clicking this link & following the on-screen prompts.

(Note: Dropbox recommends strong passwords that are not used for any other website or service. Once you change your password, the change will become effective immediately on all computers and devices linked to your account.)

#2. For added security, we recommend that you enable two-step verification, which protects your account even if your password is compromised. Once enabled, Dropbox will require a six-digit code in addition to your password when signing in to the Dropbox website or linking a new device. 

When it comes to the open ticket you had submitted Jdzaffuto, I’ve located your open support request on our system & I’ve made sure to reply to you there. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my latest email & let me know here in case you’re unable to locate this reply. 

Of course, if any of you is having trouble logging in or if you have any further questions, please let me know here & I’ll make sure to reach out on my end to anyone having additional questions or concerns!

[Mod edit 2023, edited Help Center link]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I'd suggest sending it in to the team: www.dropbox.com/support and asking them as its an account specific request.

You can then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

frankmu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Exact same situation happend to me yesterday. Did you get a reply from Dropbox? Is this part of a large scale attack?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey frankmu, as this is an account-specific matter, I’ve made sure to run a search on our system on my end, I’ve located your open support request & I’ve made sure to reply to you there asking some details, in order to determine what’s happening together. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox our latest email & let me know here in case you’re unable to locate this reply. 

Hopefully this is helpful to you & I’ll be awaiting your next reply on that email chain. Until we talk again, have a great rest of your day! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

artaxerxes
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yeah me too. I’ve had 5+ in the last few hours

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Five sounds extreme!

Make sure you log it as a ticket 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mcreardon7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

why am I seeing multiple one-time security code emails? I recieved 5 last night.

I dont have 2FA on

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey artaxerxes & mcreardon7, thanks for your reports! 

In order to gather all relevant details & further assist you on the matter, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end, so please have a look at your inbox whenever you get a chance & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. 

I hope that this is helpful to you & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you via email! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Jdzaffuto
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I just got that same email too at 5:55am while I was sleeping. Freaked me out. I changed my password and enabled 2FA. Looked it up to find others having the same issue. Someone is doing something.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi again to all, I have some more info to share with you on your security-related inquiry that will shed some light on why you received this email from us. 

I can confirm that the email that you have received is a legitimate email from Dropbox. You were sent this message because you have recently attempted to log in to your account. You will need to enter this verification code to complete the sign in process.

We have implemented this to prevent abuse on your account. If you continue to receive these emails and you are not attempting to log in, we would recommend changing the email address connected to your account and securing your account by doing the following:

#1. If you haven't done so already, you can change your Dropbox account password, which you can do by clicking this link & following the on-screen prompts.

(Note: Dropbox recommends strong passwords that are not used for any other website or service. Once you change your password, the change will become effective immediately on all computers and devices linked to your account.)

#2. For added security, we recommend that you enable two-step verification, which protects your account even if your password is compromised. Once enabled, Dropbox will require a six-digit code in addition to your password when signing in to the Dropbox website or linking a new device. 

When it comes to the open ticket you had submitted Jdzaffuto, I’ve located your open support request on our system & I’ve made sure to reply to you there. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my latest email & let me know here in case you’re unable to locate this reply. 

Of course, if any of you is having trouble logging in or if you have any further questions, please let me know here & I’ll make sure to reach out on my end to anyone having additional questions or concerns!

[Mod edit 2023, edited Help Center link]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    clayton v. Explorer | Level 4
    UMFClass2019 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?