cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: turn off Dropbox advertising prompts?

turn off Dropbox advertising prompts?

Lorelei P.
Helpful | Level 6

How can I turn off these prompts? I've gone through my notification settings on my desktop and online settings, and can't seem to turn off some of the Dropbox  prompts that I'm continuing to get thru my desktop Dropbox notifications. These include:

- try Dropbox Business

- you can change how you store files you're not using regularly

how can I get rid of these??

17 Replies 17

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi Lorelei, you can disable the notifications for the Dropbox app via your own OS settings, which will prevent all Dropbox notifications from appearing on your machine.

If you’re running Windows, this article might help. For Mac users, this article should assist.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lorelei P.
Helpful | Level 6

okay, thanks, but I do need some of the functional notifications. It seems like the newest version of Dropbox has ramped up with a new set of notifications that weren't coming through before.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

You should be able to close the notifications when they appear. Is there no option to do so?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Lorelei P.
Helpful | Level 6

Do you mean to "click them away" once they're on the desktop? Yes, I can do that. I posted this because I don't want them to appear, period. They're not part of the list that's in the Dropbox settings for notifications. They're some other layer of notifications that have started showing up once I updated.

I'll take a screenshot once something pops up, and post it here.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Currently it isn’t possible to disable those specific notifications that you’re seeing, since it isn’t in the list on the Dropbox site.

I can forward that suggestion to our dev team for their consideration in future.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

leavemealone11
New member | Level 2

Please stop your stupid screen grabs - I HATE IT. I dont care about upgrading dropbox - Only thing I am going to do is delete it, its the only obnoxious notification I get - and I run windows! Please turn it off, or let me turn it off for ever.

FelixHH
New member | Level 2
I’ve just turned off ALL Dropbox notifications because the stupid app wouldn’t let me opt out of the Dropbox advertising notifications.

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Completely agreed.  I dont pay $120 year to see your stupid obnoxious advertisements.

Stop this or provide opt-out immediately.

gbonehead
New member | Level 2

Hi out there.

So its getting on a year now, and those promotional advertising notifications that create a red #1 like they're some sort of error are still happening and there's no way to disable them.

I and many other people do not need or want yet another sneaky end run around the spam laws that prohibit unsolicited email. Which is what this is - since it's a "notification" not an email, there's no need to follow any laws about it and therefore no way to disable it.

Like others, I pay a lot for Dropbox and appreciate it - but I do not appreciate underhanded marketing activity that I cannot escape.

I disable virtually all notifications on my PC so I can maintain flow and concentration, and having a vendor bypass all of that work with no possible way for me to stop it just isn't right.

thank you,

Burt Smith

Need more support?