cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Product Updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's new in Dropbox - 2nd Edition

What's new in Dropbox - 2nd Edition

Ed
Dropbox Staff

See what’s new in Dropbox

Here you'll find information about the latest features and changes in our Dropbox apps.

Desktop

Network control

Network control is a security and access feature available to Dropbox Enterprise teams. With this feature, IT admins can manage which Dropbox accounts can be used on their corporate network. Using your proxy or CASB vendor, you can specify which Dropbox Enterprise accounts can sign in and sync via dropbox.com or the Dropbox desktop app. Learn more

Device approvals

Device approvals help Dropbox Business team admins manage the devices that team members use to access Dropbox. Admins can limit the number of connected mobile and desktop devices,and choose how device approvals are applied for their team. Learn more

Faster sync speeds with new Points of Presence launched across the globe

We established proxy servers at the network edge, giving us accelerators in California, Texas, Virginia, New York, Washington, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

dbx-infra.png

A user’s client connects to these edge proxies, completing the initial TLS and TCP handshakes quickly—the proxies have enough buffer space to let the client get through the slow start without having to wait for an ACK from our data centers. In other words, uploading and downloading to Dropbox is now faster than ever. Learn more

Ending support for Internet Explorer 9

Starting on Nov 21st, 2016, Dropbox no longer supports Microsoft Internet Explorer 9. This change is in line with the industry trend, as many other large companies have already announced that they're deprecating support for IE9.

We believe users will have a better experience with the Dropbox website on newer versions of the various web browsers we support. You can see a full list of supported browsers here: http://dropbox.com/help/3

Fixed issue on desktop client updates from 13.4 to 14.4/15.3/15.4

The latest version the desktop client—v15.4 or greater—resolves an issue encountered by a small number of users on macOS who stored and accessed their Dropbox folders on a remote network location or external drive. These users previously saw an error like this:

• KeyError: Failed to copy description!’

If you’re still experiencing this issue, please download the latest version of Dropbox.

Upcoming improvements to Selective Sync

Selective Sync is more responsive and faster than ever in an upcoming version of the Desktop application. These improvements make managing which folders sync to your computer quicker and smoother. Learn more about how to save space on your hard drive by using Selective Sync: http://dropbox.com/help/175 

iOS

Recent save locations

When you upload files or photos in your Dropbox iOS app, you now see a list of your most recent save locations. This makes it easier to save your files to the right folders when uploading on the go.

Bulk rename your photo

Having trouble remembering which photos to send out? Was it the ones you took on Nov 15 or the ones you took on Nov 17? Now you can avoid those mixups by easily renaming your photos in bulk when manually uploading photos from your Dropbox iOS app. 

Note: This feature will gradually be rolled out to everyone over the next few days.

Mobile offline folders (iOS and Android)

Available for Pro, Business, and Enterprise users
You can now save entire folders on your mobile device and make them available offline. Learn more

mobile-offline-folders-1300x760.jpg

Note: This feature will gradually be rolled out to everyone over the next few days.

Android

Tap to refresh file

If someone updates a file while you’re viewing it on your Android app, you’ll now see a message showing you that a newer version was saved. With a simple tap, you can reload to see the latest version.

Sometimes we post about upcoming products or features before they're released, but timing and exact functionality of these features may change from what's shared here. The decision to purchase our services should be made based on features that are currently available.
20 Replies 20

davemacdo
Helpful | Level 5

These are some nice updates to the iOS client, but I'm still very frustrated that Dropbox hasn't implemented iOS's edit-in-place functionality. It's very confusing to require me to make a new copy of a file each time I want to edit it. It's basically the same as having an endless stream of conflicted copies, which DB usually does an excellent job of limiting. Please prioritize this for future iOS releases. It's the main thing that iCloud Drive is still beating DB on. I understand that app devs can implement something directly through the DB API, but there are too many apps and only one Dropbox for that to be feasible. I'm a happy DB customer paying for my 1TB, and I think this is a pretty reasonable request. Please, be a good OS citizen and use the native API: UIDocumentPickerModeOpen.

Theodore S.1
Helpful | Level 6
Strongly support this sentiment. I get that open in place has limitations but it's an essential part of working in iOS. Please, please support this feature.

Mehran
Helpful | Level 6
Very good updates, but in ios still background uploading have issue it paused after some time and i must lunch app to start it again, i think this issue should be fixed on ios10. Thanks

dportela
New member | Level 2
While I appreciate the desire to just post your update info in one spot, I encourage you not to just put the /whatsnew link into your iOS update description field. At the very least, bulletpoint the improvements and then provide a link for more information. Simply providing a link (which can't be tapped anyway and needs to be typed to be accessed) will most likely have the effect of insuring your iOS users are uninformed about your hard work and disengaged with you as a company.

Case in point, I only came here to tell you this...I won't be typing that URL again unless you give me a good reason to.

OUsooner08
New member | Level 2
I second this sentiment. It's user hostile and lazy! At least bullet point improvements in the app store and then put to learn more go to x website.

tristancliffe
New member | Level 2
Agreed also. Came here solely to say that it's infuriating when developers can't be bothered to fill out the changelog in app stores.
But as Dropbox gets bigger they care less and less about their customers, like any big company. Shame.

Raclove
New member | Level 2
Bring back Carousell!! Or at least something like it, I need to free up space but it's hard to know what photos have been uploaded as it so often skips large groups of photos.
It was incredibly handy and it needs to come back.

Thomithumb
New member | Level 2
Totally agree, I don't prefer to update 'blind', so you're forcing to awkwardly navigate here. It will eventually move me to just use iCloud Drive. I won't come all this way next release, so likely won't update, and so starts the process to transition away.

Mike R.21
Helpful | Level 5
Live Photo syncing would be great too. Just upload the corresponding MOV file. That's all we need!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gtracy080_ New member | Level 2
    Austin C.2 New member | Level 2
    ErinJWade Explorer | Level 4
    ZephyrsHuman New member | Level 2
    SwanCobb Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?