cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Product Updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What's new in Dropbox - issue #2

What's new in Dropbox - 2nd Edition

Ed
Dropbox Staff

See what’s new in Dropbox

Here you'll find information about the latest features and changes in our Dropbox apps.

Desktop

Network control

Network control is a security and access feature available to Dropbox Enterprise teams. With this feature, IT admins can manage which Dropbox accounts can be used on their corporate network. Using your proxy or CASB vendor, you can specify which Dropbox Enterprise accounts can sign in and sync via dropbox.com or the Dropbox desktop app. Learn more

Device approvals

Device approvals help Dropbox Business team admins manage the devices that team members use to access Dropbox. Admins can limit the number of connected mobile and desktop devices,and choose how device approvals are applied for their team. Learn more

Faster sync speeds with new Points of Presence launched across the globe

We established proxy servers at the network edge, giving us accelerators in California, Texas, Virginia, New York, Washington, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

dbx-infra.png

A user’s client connects to these edge proxies, completing the initial TLS and TCP handshakes quickly—the proxies have enough buffer space to let the client get through the slow start without having to wait for an ACK from our data centers. In other words, uploading and downloading to Dropbox is now faster than ever. Learn more

Ending support for Internet Explorer 9

Starting on Nov 21st, 2016, Dropbox no longer supports Microsoft Internet Explorer 9. This change is in line with the industry trend, as many other large companies have already announced that they're deprecating support for IE9.

We believe users will have a better experience with the Dropbox website on newer versions of the various web browsers we support. You can see a full list of supported browsers here: http://dropbox.com/help/3

Fixed issue on desktop client updates from 13.4 to 14.4/15.3/15.4

The latest version the desktop client—v15.4 or greater—resolves an issue encountered by a small number of users on macOS who stored and accessed their Dropbox folders on a remote network location or external drive. These users previously saw an error like this:

• KeyError: ‘Failed to copy description!’

If you’re still experiencing this issue, please download the latest version of Dropbox.

Upcoming improvements to Selective Sync

Selective Sync is more responsive and faster than ever in an upcoming version of the Desktop application. These improvements make managing which folders sync to your computer quicker and smoother. Learn more about how to save space on your hard drive by using Selective Sync: http://dropbox.com/help/175 

iOS

Recent save locations

When you upload files or photos in your Dropbox iOS app, you now see a list of your most recent save locations. This makes it easier to save your files to the right folders when uploading on the go.

Bulk rename your photo

Having trouble remembering which photos to send out? Was it the ones you took on Nov 15 or the ones you took on Nov 17? Now you can avoid those mixups by easily renaming your photos in bulk when manually uploading photos from your Dropbox iOS app. 

Note: This feature will gradually be rolled out to everyone over the next few days.

Mobile offline folders (iOS and Android)

Available for Pro, Business, and Enterprise users
You can now save entire folders on your mobile device and make them available offline. Learn more

mobile-offline-folders-1300x760.jpg

Note: This feature will gradually be rolled out to everyone over the next few days.

Android

Tap to refresh file

If someone updates a file while you’re viewing it on your Android app, you’ll now see a message showing you that a newer version was saved. With a simple tap, you can reload to see the latest version.

Sometimes we post about upcoming products or features before they're released, but timing and exact functionality of these features may change from what's shared here. The decision to purchase our services should be made based on features that are currently available.
20 Replies 20

geek_neo
Helpful | Level 5

At what point is Dropbox going to fix the issue with file caching on iOS? Are you guys aware of how ridiculous it is that I frequently need to remove and reinstall the app because it's gotten too large and you can't add a simple button to clear the local data?

SwanCobb
Collaborator | Level 10
Google Photos has a way to optimize the amount of local data you are using for caching purposes.

geek_neo
Helpful | Level 5

how does that affect the dropbox caching?

zdenek_podrasky
New member | Level 2
I have problém on ios 10! The screen on my iphone 6 plus is only half-used, thus navigation is much difficult. Erroneous update, don't install!

stephanieirene1
New member | Level 2

I use to use Carousel religiously too. I loved using it pull up pictures & to also find pictures by date & more plus free up my phone space. But guess what? I have a great solution for you. I found a new app that I love even more. It is called EVER. http://www.ever.com/ It does the same as Carousel did but way more. It frees up your space and pulls your pictures from everywhere such as facebook, instragram, dropbox & more. It reminds me of Timehop, Carousel, the updated iPhone photos albums but all together in one app. It even reminds me what happened last year or two years ago & further (depending on how far back your pictures go back) #throwback which is neat like FB or Timehop does. I got rid of my other apps cause this one does it all. It also backs-up all of your photos too for you. This is great just in case anything happens. I cant wait to see what else they come up with. 

HOPEFULLY DB reads this & later sees if they can partner up with Ever some way! 🙂

Pook
Helpful | Level 5

It seems like the "sort by name" and "sort by date" have disappeared from the iOS folder view and it is extremely difficult to find items now. Please put it back. 

SwanCobb
Collaborator | Level 10
If you uninstall Dropbox, all the cached thumbnails and files go with it. Since Dropbox doesn't give a clean cache or optimize storage feature, we have to resort to uninstalling and installing to recover disk space on the smartphone.

ZephyrsHuman
New member | Level 2

Still disappointed that you have not resolved the one email / one account issue.  As a freelancer who works with several companies I cannot belong to more than one team.  This is crazy!  How 1980s is it to use an email address as an account identifier??  This makes working with companies almost impossible for those of us who are contractors.  Please fix this...

ErinJWade
Explorer | Level 4

I'd like to also put in a vote for supporting the edit-in-place feature on iOS. As others have noted, not supporting this results in multiple file copies being made across different apps. 

I love using Dropbox, and I think it's a natural component for any iOS device. But I would really like to remove the need to periodically go through, double-check to see that each file is safely saved in Dropbox, and then delete it from the other locations in which it appears. It is tedious and time consuming. And, as others have noted, I realize there are apps that support saving back to Dropbox, but I have entire workflows that involve multiple people that are set in apps that do not. Moving to a different app in order to gain this feature isn't a practicable workaround. 

Austin C.2
New member | Level 2

Still waiting for Live Photo support.... 

Need more support?