cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: After Dropbox update it won't open on startup (Mac); asks me to go to dropboxer.net

After Dropbox update it won't open on startup (Mac); asks me to go to dropboxer.net

ardmara
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I got a request from dropbox to make an update which would move the dropbox from one place on the Mac to another (Monterey 12.6). I did this. since then when I start up I get a pop-up message on the screen saying that DB cannot connect with two buttons - ok, and help. if I click the help it takes me to a google page asking me to sign in with my google email, and with a box asking me to sign in to a page dropboxer.net with a choice of my google or work emails. If instead I open dropbox.com all seems to be ok on the site and the app.

Help! what should I do?

50 Replies 50

ardmara
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ugh. And Calibri is a standard Word font.

ardmara
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm no longer getting the dropboxer.net prompt; I get the two messages I put screenshots of originally. But then the dropbox works fine. The whole thing takes longer to start up which is a pain. This is on my desktop, not on my mac air, which seems fine.

Question: if I delete dropbox on my desktop, and try to re-install, would that help? and if so, how do I do it?

The instructions I had earlier were far too technical, and I did not know the terminology you were using. I'm not a technician . I want a simple, straightforward, foolproof way of getting rid of this irritating problem, and making sure my mac is a) safe and b) fully functional. Thanks!

thedirector
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So the font thing is a red herring. On boot up today i was back to the original problem

Dropbox can't start popup

continue or get help (help Pressed)

Google sign in webpage liked to dropperbox.net

Very annoying, dropbox all working as expected

lchoquel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same issue here.

How come no one is answering the main question: chat is "dropboxer.net". 

WhoIs says it belongs to DropBox Inc. but it's not listed on the documentation page about official domains used by DropBox.

thedirector
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

No one is addressing this issue, just radio silence both here and on support

lchoquel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I found traces of dropboxer.net on DropBox's GitHub here. Here's where:

Download the binder: wget --header "Cookie: sessionid=SESSION_ID" --mirror --convert-links --adjust-extension --page-requisites --no-parent -P raw --cut-dirs=3 https://app.dropboxer.net/binder/eng-career/

So it's related to their "Dropbox Engineering Career Framework" presented here.

Hence this is an internal system which should not be consumer-facing.

So the message we are seeing which links to dropboxer.net is clearly a bug.

I don't think it's dangerous though. I don't expect DropBox's internal career management to pose a malware threat.

Ironically enough, the person that could answer what this bug is about is the HR Manager at DropBox, not someone from support.

josephjpeters
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I tend to agree, though Dropbox was a phishing victim in October and the files accessed there could very well have been internal tools like this.

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your patience. We can confirm that this issue has been resolved. The link has since been updated with our latest version, so please make sure you're up-to-date on the latest stable build. 

Regards,

Emmet 

ardmara
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

OK - but how do we do this? I'm trying to find anything about updating to the latest version, but am only getting links to upgrading my account. There's nothing the Mac app store that I can see either.

ardmara
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Plus: I've been reading people 's messages here about problems with syncing after they try to update the version.

FWIW: I have version 167.4.4719 and macOS Monterey 12.6.3.

What number is the new version of the app?

Need more support?