cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Dropbox update it won't open on startup (Mac); asks me to go to dropboxer.net

After Dropbox update it won't open on startup (Mac); asks me to go to dropboxer.net

ardmara
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I got a request from dropbox to make an update which would move the dropbox from one place on the Mac to another (Monterey 12.6). I did this. since then when I start up I get a pop-up message on the screen saying that DB cannot connect with two buttons - ok, and help. if I click the help it takes me to a google page asking me to sign in with my google email, and with a box asking me to sign in to a page dropboxer.net with a choice of my google or work emails. If instead I open dropbox.com all seems to be ok on the site and the app.

Help! what should I do?

50 Replies 50

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Dalbot, let's jump right into this! 

Have you tried all the available troubleshooting steps, mentioned throughout this thread? 

Do you also receive any error messages, or not at all?

Let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

thedirector
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Precisely the same is happening to me. I was just onto your online chat and people are not aware of this. It looks like a classic password-harvesting scam to me. But very troubling that it's happening and seems dropbox related. dropbxer.net is some form of shortened url

JG

thedirector
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

if you hover over the dropboxer.net link you get a very strange email address "ice-sculpture-critique" with an @dropbox.com domian 

thedirector
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So i found an alias on my desktop to a font "calibri." This was being installed during bootup on my desk to

(never a good sign) it would suggest a script has been installed somewhere that on booting up adds this alias.

I used font book to delete the font

I deleted the alias

I rebooted and no strange message about dropbox not signing in etc.

josephjpeters
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Can we get a definitive answer as to what dropboxer.net is? It looks to be a domain owned by Dropbox but the email used for the google auth goes nowhere. 

This should be an easy answer. 

thedirector
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, i agree, we also need some joined-up thinking as the online chat people don't know about this. I think there should be some flag at dropbox about this issue. It isnt isolated; several of us have exactly the same issue. If it is password harvesting then its quite a serious issue.

I found out one rather troubling thing. I noticed that two alais links had been saved to my desktop during my boot sequence (I could tell from the time stamping)

These were both aliases to a Calibri font file.

I deleted to font, and I deleted the alias and no more popups.

This could be some innocent piece of code the developers used during the testing of the masOS updates

It could be a piece of code that has been inadvertently added to the source code from an infected machine in the development chain

It could even be an internal issue at dropbox.

It needs a full investigation. Dropbox in particular needs to be super secure. I have some very sensitive financial files on mine. I cant be questioning the security.

JG

josephjpeters
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There is good reason to be on high alert after this occurred in the fall

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @thedirector, and @josephjpeters, thank you both for posting! 

You mentioned, that when you hover your mouse over dropboxer.net link you get a very strange email address, could you kindly send me some screenshots, please? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

josephjpeters
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Here's a screenshot. It appears "dropboxer.net" does appear in your GitHub in the dbx-career-framework

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 3.54.18 PM.png

thedirector
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

And @Megan here's the same form my experience

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 10.48.11.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    ardmara Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff