cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AirDrop broken on MacOS Ventura

AirDrop broken on MacOS Ventura

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm using MacOS Ventura and I can't receive files via AirDrop anymore.

My Downloads folder is inside my Dropbox as I'm using Dropbox Backup, so it is all inside the Cloud Library now. The Spotlight Search is broken and now also I can't receive airdropped files anymore. They are sending but afterwards they are just nowhere to be found on the hard-drive. It's quite the mess.

@DropboxTeam: It would be highly appreciated if you can expedite looking into resolving the issues on Ventura!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

You'll need to access the preferences in the desktop app, click the Backup tab, and then Manage Backup. From there you can remove the Downloads folder from the backup.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

98 Replies 98

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Styline, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify exactly what's happening when you accept an AirDrop on your device?

If you quit the Dropbox desktop application, does the issue persist?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

So here is what happens:

1. I'm sharing a file via AirDrop from my Phone to my MacBook.
2. My MacBook automatically accepts the file (because it's logged into the same iCloud account), otherwise I would assume the notification would pop up to accept the file. The laptop makes the AirDrop sound that it's receiving the file.
3. On the phone you can see that the file is sending and the progress. On the MacBook you can see that the file is being received.
4. The phone now says that the transfer is done. The MacBook is trying to open Finder, but no window appears. On the top left in the taskbar next to the Apple logo you can see though that Finder is becoming the active application.
5. Now when I open finder manually the file is nowhere to be found. Neither in Downloads where it usually lands, nor in Documents, Desktop or Home folder. Even searching for the file it's just nowhere.

My assumption is that because my Downloads folder is managed by Dropbox due to Dropbox Backup and is now located in the secure Cloud Library, AirDrop for some reason can't save it and therefor it just never is being saved.

I can provide information if required, and might also try to change my AirDrop location folder to a different folder outside of Dropbox to see if that works, though that seems to be pretty complicated and requires a chain of Terminal commands, so not sure if I really want to mess with it. For now my AirDrop unfortunately is unusable to receive files on the MacBook =(

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What version of Ventura are you running? Has this happened since the moment you upgraded it, or activated Dropbox Backup?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm on the latest version 13.0.1. I had Dropbox Backup active already for the past year and AirDrop was working fine before Ventura. I'm not sure if AirDrop would have worked before the folders got migrated to the Cloud Library. Don't think I've tested that, or at least didn't notice anything. But yeah since moving over to Cloud Library AirDrop doesn't work for me unfortunately 😕

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

That said - I'm also having issues with Spotlight Search not opening files correctly, so there seems to be some sort of issue where Ventura can't access the Cloud Library folder the way that it should?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Styline - sorry to jump in, but could you check the information I just posted here and let me know if they help with your Spotlight search issues?

As for the AirDrop issue, you can have a look here, if you're part of our MacOS beta forum, for some possible suggestions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hey Walter - trying the suggestion regarding Spotlight Search right now - will keep you posted on how it goes.

Regarding the AirDrop discussion, it looks like I do not have access to this forum:

Access Denied
You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You should be able to request access for the MacOS beta forum from this page.

Let me know of any updates @Styline

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LJ123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am having the exact same problem.  It was working fine until yesterday when I installed the Dropbox update and then boom, AirDrop is broken.  I AirDrop from my phone to my Macbook constantly, so it's definitely the new Dropbox client that broke it.

Need more support?