cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

pcbland
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Drop Box...there are way too many options for users out there these days for you to ignore this simple request from paying customers. Please update and get with the times. I will be exploring my other options but with hopes that the native app for the M1 chip is released. 

Jonozo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’ve moved over to iCloud and Google Drive.  Much better than Dropbox anyway.  Very disappointing.

Ian D.6
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Lori I don't wish to come off as passive-aggressive, but… you do understand what is being requested here…?

I mean, ultimately, the question here is, does Dropbox support the Mac?

The current inaction means, quite unequivocally, no.

Christopher D.10
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Actually the votes are BS...they have yet to implement the most requested feature ...Ignore folder (without selective sync)...has been on the forum since 2014!

I posted in this thread about a month ago...it was not a hollow threat that my company would switch off of Dropbox.  Because they have not even hinted at supporting Apple Silicon natively anytime soon, my company is moving off of them very soon.  OneDrive is not an option because of the Microsoft's stupid folder/file naming restrictions (we are not going to rename/reorg a ton of files so Microsoft can index them in Sharepoint).  We have been using Box for the past month as an alternative (they have been very helpful in guiding us away from Dropbox).  We will miss Smart Sync, but the overall cost is about the same if not less (for more enterprise features) and the native Apple Silicon support is now pretty solid.  Even our Windows users are looking forward to this switch because Dropbox on Windows is a resource hog as well.

jtjdt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just switch to Box. They have fully supported M1 for months now.

T_H_E_R_O_V_E_R
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I’ve been a premium user from the beginning Dropbox, please pay attention to this matter, my new M1 Mac is on the way! 

FrenchStuart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just was talking to someone yesterday how I prefer Dropbox to other cloud storage providers because y’all have had the syncing down pat. It’s disappointing to now see this be given relatively low priority given this is a future already in motion. 

Allen F.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Our entire company's Dropbox annual plan is coming up for renewal, and without native M chip support, we are planning to cancel and migrate to Google Drive. We don't want to switch to Google Drive, but if Dropbox won't support Mac users, we have no choice.

Martin A.20
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hundreds of upvotes over the last four months.

Dozens of angry comments from frustrated paying customers.

Every major competitor already has or is getting ready to release an Apple Silicon native app...

And all we get from you is two condescending answers that tell us nothing besides the fact that you don't give a **bleep** about us?

Absolutely shocking and appalling treatment of customers, Dropbox!

AnybodyM2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Not offering M1 support is the right thing to do! After all, 15 years after 64bit became standard in the Intel/AMD world, Dropbox still refuses to offer a 64bit client for Windows in 2021. With the official decision to just not invest in the platform, why should the decision be different for the minority of mac users?

Need more support?