cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

AppleManFan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I pay for 2TB of Cloud Storage annually, and it doesn't support my computer. Honestly DropBox, you can consider me gone later this year (and probably a few hundred others), if you don't add M1 support soon. 

hamishpatrick
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’m a long term Dropbox user but like others above, as a professional who relies on cloud storage for work and who needs to maximise the performance of their machine, I shouldn’t have to quit the Dropbox app to regain system performance. Would prefer to stay with Dropbox but will switch to a competitor offering Apple Silicon support if it’s not even announced as being on the development roadmap. 

cicorias
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Got my new M1 MacBook and saw this horrible experience 

at this point iCloud is good enough to replace Dropbox now

TallboyJ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Am getting a new MacBook Pro soon. If you decide not to support it natively, I will stop supporting you. There are other providers of cloud storage, guys…

Dan B.51
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is everyone forgetting you cant even keep dropbox running on a ~2014 intel mac? Theyve never cared about this. Even if everyone in this thread (I love you all so far, btw) canceled it wouldnt affect them at all since they have so many corporate clients now, hence all the spam and other nonsense they keep weighing down the app with. I bet so many devs there would love the opportunity to optimize everything and just cant get it approved.

Anyways, make sure to check out the new features launching that you dont need or want and get in the way of everything else. (which are probably great since dropbox has so many amazing people working there.. just.... urg)

peenoid
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No threats, but if my machine is wasting resources on an app and service (that I pay for), I’ll have to cancel the service as use an app that doesn’t. It seems pretty clear to me. 

Ian D.6
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
This idea is going to need a bit more support before we share your suggestion with our team. 

How about Dropbox giving us a bit more support before we take all our business elsewhere?

The idea that keeping your app updated (with the most fundamental aspect of a platform you claim to support) isn't something you've even considered just boggles the mind.

I mean, you do realise what the move to Apple silicon means, right? Intel isn't coming back. X86 isn't coming back. At some point in the not-too-distant future, Rosetta will be gone.

Might I suggest you take this a bit more seriously and demonstrate you actually understand what your customers are telling you? Good lord.

Marco I.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have to vote to get this? I'm paying dropbox, does this counts for something?

visoft
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is ridiculous. Dropbox doesn't care about Macs. About to look for a new provider as this is a dealbreaker after this long.

Martin H.53
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Ian D.6Well, they moved to 64-bit something like 6 or 7 years after Apple made their move, just before 32-bit support was completely dropped from macOS. Based on this, expect M1 support to come right around when Apple drops Rosetta 2 support in about 4 or 5 years. Lazy doesn't even begin to describe this...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?