cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

GillesMaes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Upvoted, but moving to a different service. Ridiculous behaviour from such a company.

tomdar2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How is this something that even needs a vote?! The whole platform is moving off of Intel! Super embarrassing, Dropbox.

Ben S.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The hell is wrong with you?! Give me a reason to stop giving you money!

I'm off this morning to pick up a 16" M1 Pro. 

Also, agreed with the above. "This is way more important than any of the extra features (Paper, Passwords, Backup) Dropbox keeps pushing." I don't use any of those, but the basic service is used to be fantastic. 

Indiehub
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is really ridiculous !! I have a small company whose workflow is based on the use of dropbox. Our computers back up and work on the same folders. We pay a very expensive subscription and the idea of ​​being able to find ourselves without support for new Mac machines in the future is absurd. Hope the dropbox team gets to work with the M1 native app...fast

Martin H.53
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@LwdupontDeveloper here. They can't really be "in the middle of adding Apple Silicon support". Since they have an iOS version, all of their third-party code already comes in ARM-compiled binaries. Switching their own code to it is mostly a matter of ticking a checkbox and recompiling it. The few differences between x386 and ARM are only relevant when you have badly written multithreaded code. This is unlikely to be a problem in the case of Dropbox since almost all of it is written in high-level languages (Python and Javascript as far as I can tell).

Not having bothered spending the $5k or so in software engineering time in over a year is just mind-boggling, especially coming from a company with a nearly $2bn revenue!!

djm5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
"This idea is going to need a bit more support before we share your suggestion with our team." What the hell am I paying $120.00 a year for? Time to start looking for a company that cares.

klp21sve
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Seems like Dropbox does not want our money. I'm happy to let our company contract expire and take our 250 people somewhere where they at least don't cause us spend ing more in replacing laptop batteries to our employees. Unbelievably disappointed by this, Dropbox.

MacToTheMax
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It’s time for Mac users to ditch Dropbox. I canceled my subscription and will use a combination of Google Drive and iCloud from now on. The blatant and unapologetic disregard Dropbox has shown the Mac community is appalling.

delfuego
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For those saying that this must be outdated info and that Dropbox is likely already working on it — as a customer who pays a not-small amount of money to them, I just engaged with their support agents on this. And nope… they still aren't confessing to caring about this at all, and said that the best they can do is "tell engineering that customers still want support for the Apple Silicon processors."

This is embarrassing, honestly; there is enough good competition out there that it certainly feels like it's time to take my subscriptions elsewhere.

Edispg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I already had issues with Dropbox app slowing down my computer. My new M1 powered mac is arriving to me in a month or so, and if Dropbox will not work on it, I will cancel my personal plan, and also ask my company  to cancel Business plan for next payment date.  It is ridiculous that  Dropbox app is not  ready for ARM. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?