cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

Mtdkellie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm looking at it this way, If Dropbox do NOT update the app to support apple Silicon natively, then when I upgrade my MacBook and iMac in the next 12 months, I can save money by NOT having Drop box anymore.  I can use Google or I-Cloud more cheaply and may well stop my corruption issue I get due to the sinology NAS Cloud sync.

Greg E.8
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have been on a 2TB paid plan for several years but I will cancel my subscription when I buy a new laptop. I need a service that is optimized for the hardware that I use.

DropItLikeEvernote
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

What a poor response from Dropbox. Really, you claim to support MacOS as a platform, but refuse to think about updating to modern standards unless we dance, rally the troops, and vote? Nah, I see you’re going the way of Evernote and telling your customers to F* off. 

Well okay… I’m gone! Removing every file I have and deactivating my account. I’m leaving not because of your slow response to implementing this, I’m leaving because it is absolutely foolish to tell customers that their feedback isn’t valid to pass along to the appropriate team. 

So if we vote for Dropbox to add an option to change interface colors, that would take precedent over developing the core feature to work with the updated version of a committed platform? Seems shortsighted and a way to lose customers if you can’t evaluate on your own that some things are simply priority. I understand the volume of customers in need may affect some things, but what a short-sighted and ignorant response. 

Good riddance Dropbox. I hope you go out of business. Really. 

lolajl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Adding in my vote. I've been a long-time Dropbox user, and I've ordered my MBP which will hopefully arrive in 2 weeks or so. I was stunned to read the Macrumors article about how Dropbox is being childish about providing M1 support. I mean, come on, Apple is moving on with their M1 strategy. And it's sounding like they're willing to provide whatever support developers need to make their product compatible with the new chip. I'm seeing quite a few business owners saying they'll be cancelling their accounts if this isn't fixed soon. Were I still a business owner, I'd definitely do the same thing, even though there were less than 5 people in the company.

Visual Rhythm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

“needs more votes”

dropbox. The entire mac lineup is ALREADY on Apple M1. Are you insane?

VHHess
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Everyone,

Just switch to a different cloud storage platform until dropbox gets the picture. Rosetta 2 is a temporary solution until dropbox decides they want to be easier on your battery life for your Macs like OneDrive is planning. 

Koroshino
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox make this happen. Or I’ll be voting with my credit card. Box over there has M1 support and unlimited storage. Add this support, not more document features. Focus on your core business, syncing files on multiple platforms. 

npx629
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

"This idea is going to need a bit more support before we share your suggestion with our team."

What are you people smoking?

CC-PM
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Make this happen or I am moving on at my next billing cycle. 

ironpig
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ive been using dropbox on Mac as long as I can imagine.  And I'd like to continue to use it, but when dropbox started it was the best and only game in town.  Now there are alternatives and even Apple's native iCloud is getting better.  If Dropbox is going to ignore the Mac, maybe we'll just use one of the alternatives.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?