cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backing up internal hard drives

Backing up internal hard drives

Tommy_D
Explorer | Level 3

Hello All,

Hopefully I can get some help with this situation that I am having.

I have a custom built PC with the following Hard drive configuration:

NVME 1 (500 GB): Boot drive (Has the OS installed, Adobe apps, etc)

NVME 2 (1 TB): Storage drive (I use this one for games, Adobe cache folders, current work files, etc)

HDD 1 (2TB): This is used for my finished work. Once I am done with a project I move all the files from my "NVME 2" drive to here to keep the space open.

Now, the problem I am running into is I cannot backup the HDD 1 drive to Dropbox. I see no options what so ever and I cannot find anything online. The only thing I have found is for external hard drives. 

Anybody run into this issue and figured it out?

21 Replies 21

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @wonsnot, could you elaborate on the problem you're facing so that we can assist further? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

wonsnot
Explorer | Level 4

The drive sizes are different, but I have the exact same problem outlined in the initial issue.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

So, you'd like to backup your internal hard drives Dropbox using the Dropbox Backup feature. Is that correct @wonsnot?

If that's so, I'm afraid it's not possible at the moment as you can only backup your computer's OS folders like Downloads, Desktop and Documents and supported external drives at the moment with Dropbox. 

I hope this clears things up. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jrpentland78
Helpful | Level 6
Then put that somewhere other than the fine print. Because apparently I’m not the only one who thinks it’s possible based on how its advertised. I got a subscription just for that reason and since I was recently laid off, I had to let that go. Thinks like “Back up your PC” make it sound like you can back the whole thing up.

Tinman2
New member | Level 2

i am having the same exact issue and just talked to two tech support people on chat for over an hour and apparently they are archaic and not setup to backup two internal drives, yet you can do a backup on one internal drive and an external LMAO what is the difference?!?! they need to address this. I too have the service and pay for it, but can't fully utilize it. Having a second or even third HD inside your computer isn't even an unusual thing.

Tinman2
New member | Level 2

This should not be the case. You should be able to backup your entire PC. Millions of people have PC's with primary, secondary and even third or fourth internal harddrives, which all need to be backed up. There is an option to backup one internal and one external, why not just make it so you can do 2,3, or 4 drives no matter if theyre external or internal? Doesn't make any sense. For my situation, I have my OS and heavy use files on my SSD (primary) and my other lighter use programs and files on my HDD (Secondary). I need to backup the secondary, but there is currently not a way to do so. And that doesn't really do me any good as a backup service if its that limiting.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Tinman2, we appreciate the feedback on this idea. 

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future! 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stupid System
New member | Level 2

If this is the case, why on earth are you advertising this as a "backup" service? Why have I paid for 2TB of storage space that it now seems I can't use? What a mess.

poofy
Explorer | Level 4

This makes no sense. I don't store any files that need to be backed up on the boot drive and I especially do not store it in the documents subfolder. To limit backups to just that makes no sense and makes the backup feature pointless. 

housefly
Explorer | Level 4

It's implied that if you offer PC backups, that would apply to the whole machine, not just a small selection of arbitrary system files. 

My only option is to duplicate my files onto my bootdrive into the dropbox folder. Which negates the entire purpose of backing up on the cloud. 
It's not even that hard to implement, I'm having a very difficult time understanding the logic behind this. Even pre-built computers sometimes have weird drive partitions which would also create problems, so it's not limited to your customer base that builds PC's.

Offering to put in an enhancement request is laughable, how is this not on your development roadmap like 5 years ago?

Need more support?