cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

ghost_pipefish
New member | Level 2

I get this message in my Windows 10 Event Viewer (four at once, actually).  References dbxsvc.exe  Has Dropbox paid up all of their certs?    I see it on a couple of computers from different vendors, not just one.

CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

Event_Id 281

2 Replies 2

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @ghost_pipefish

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! Let's see what we can find. 

At first, after some digging around on our Community, I found this thread where Ross explains what these dbxsvc.exe might be. 

As for the error message you mention though, could you give a simple reinstall of the desktop app a try? Maybe that will do the trick. 

To do this:

1. Ensure that you've saved and quit all apps that access files in the Dropbox folder.
  2. Stop the desktop app from running by selecting the option to Quit Dropbox from the Dropbox icon on your system tray.
  3. Uninstall the desktop app. 
  4. Reboot your computer. 
  5. Download and install the latest version

If I've misunderstood your concern or if this doesn't resolve the behavior for you, don't hesitate to get back to me. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JTraynor77
New member | Level 2

I have the same exact "problem" - Event viewer has four errors on every boot - ALL my Win7 and Win10 machines are exhibiting this error 281. 

I did a reinstall according to Lusil - FAIL - same errors.

I did a careful re-install according to this article from DB:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall 

FAIL SAME PROBLEMS SAME ERRORS...ALL 20± OF MY MACHINES

I do not think this affects DB on the user end - DB simply has not updated their certificates (goobers).

DB appears to work OK on all the machines - still struggling with explorer latency on some of the machines with touchscreens though...

Need more support?