cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Code formatting doesn't work properly

Code formatting doesn't work properly

ddreyman
New member | Level 2

Hello!

I have an issue with code block formatting in Dropbox Paper.

Formatting doesn't work when pasting some code to code block. It works only on the fly, when typing any text (code) in code block or when paste code to document as plain text and then format this block with shortcut Ctrl+Alt+c

Examples: 

Spoiler
dropbox paper formatting.gif

If it's not a bug but feature, let me know :slight_smile:

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @ddreyman,

Thank you for your interest in Paper! 

Remember that Dropbox Paper helps you format and edit your docs with useful tools! Create tables, assign to-dos, and insert emojis with keyboard shortcuts and quick-access menus while some formatting options, like highlighting and underlining text or use, are only accessible via keyboard shortcuts or markdown - that's why it only works with Ctrl+Alt+C as (wonder)fully depicted on your screen-cast. 

Quick note: For a complete list of the available keyboard shortcuts and markdown just hit Ctrl+/ . 

I hope this helps clear this up for you and thank you for your diligence! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @ddreyman,

Thank you for your interest in Paper! 

Remember that Dropbox Paper helps you format and edit your docs with useful tools! Create tables, assign to-dos, and insert emojis with keyboard shortcuts and quick-access menus while some formatting options, like highlighting and underlining text or use, are only accessible via keyboard shortcuts or markdown - that's why it only works with Ctrl+Alt+C as (wonder)fully depicted on your screen-cast. 

Quick note: For a complete list of the available keyboard shortcuts and markdown just hit Ctrl+/ . 

I hope this helps clear this up for you and thank you for your diligence! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ddreyman
New member | Level 2
Oh! Thanks for quick response!
I understand.

GomiNoSensei
Explorer | Level 4

I don't think this really answers the question. I use markdown a lot and so love Dropbox Paper as it fits this pattern well. In your answer you state that some options are only accessible via keyboard shortcuts or markdown, like the code block. However, that doesn't stop there from being a bug/'feature' in that if you paste code into a pre defined ```codeblock it doesn't render proplerly. This is very counterintuitive if it's meant to be that way. Either that or it's a bug. I think it's a bug.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @GomiNoSensei - welcome to the Dropbox Forum!

First off, let me start by saying thanks for using Paper and helping us improve it. As I would really like to take a further look into this for you, I have reached out to you via email on the email address you use for your Dropbox account. Please check your inbox at your earliest convenience so we can take it from there. 

Hopefully we'll reach a resolution together. I will be waiting for your response - thanks. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

GomiNoSensei
Explorer | Level 4
Hey there! I checked my email and so far I can't see anything from yourself (not in spam either). Could you resend as I'm happy to work with you to try and resolve this!

Walter
Dropboxer

Can you check your inbox again please @GomiNoSensei ( on the email address associated with your Dropbox account )? 

If you still can't find it, you can submit a ticket and let me know the ticket ID so we can then take it from there and work on this internally. 

Thanks again for your patience and cooperation!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

guymac
New member | Level 2

This does not solve the problem. If I create a code block, and paste in some code from a console, it does not get formatted properly. If I convert it to a plain text block and back nothing has changed. If you change the format type from 'Auto' to whatever it should be, that also does not do anything. BUT if you go into the code block and start moving things around (cutting and pasting individual lines for instance) then it starts to highlight them properly, if you paste stuff back in at a different location.

Need more support?