cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely Move Desktop Dropbox from C:/ to D:/

Completely Move Desktop Dropbox from C:/ to D:/

prisonrat yogi
Explorer | Level 3

I followed the directions located on Dropbox to move my desktop version from the c:/ to the d:/. I currently show a copy of my file on the d:/ but it is still on my c:/. All my saved files are in both locations. When I go to my Dropbox sync -> preferences it still shows the c:/ as my location for my Dropbox! I need to free up my storage on my c:/. Please advise how to fix.

Thank you 🙂

11 Replies 11

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @prisonrat yogi, I'm happy to help! 

Since your Sync tab, when you access the app's preferences, shows that the Dropbox folder is still located on your C: drive, then something must have happened, and the move wasn't successful.

Can you access your D:/ drive, rename the Dropbox folder that exists there with some other name, and then repeat these steps, in order to move your folder? 

Let me know of any updates!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

prisonrat yogi
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your response. I renamed my Dropbox file on my d:/ and then attempted the move again. Please see attached an image of the error message I received. In my preferences, you can see it is still showing on my c:/ for syncing.Dropbox Sync Error Message - inked.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @prisonrat yogi, sorry for jumping in. 

If you don’t mind, can you also upload a screenshot of how your other Dropbox folder shows on your D:/ drive, so that I can have a look? You can hide any personal info you don’t want to show.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

prisonrat yogi
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you. Here is a screenshot of my d:/ from my file folder. Both files on there are my attempts to move my file from the c:/ to the d:/. The one named Move 051123 is my first attempt and I renamed it.

prisonratyogi_0-1683902983514.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @prisonrat yogi, if the current location is still showing the C:, delete the locations of the attempted moves on the D:, and then try the move again, while you don't have any other apps or programs running, which could be accessing the Dropbox folder.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

prisonrat yogi
Explorer | Level 3

I am just having problems moving my Dropbox from my c:/ to my d:/. I need to free up space on my c:/. If I select to view my Dropbox only online, can I uninstall Dropbox on my computer and then re-install it to the d:/ without losing any data?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @prisonrat yogi, you can free up space locally on your hard drive, by making the files online-only as shown here

If you wish, you can indeed uninstall the app, delete the existing Dropbox folder, and re-install on your 😧 drive, but that would re-sync all of your content from scratch. 

Did you follow the steps my colleague, Jason mentioned above. And if you did, what kind of error did you get? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

prisonrat yogi
Explorer | Level 3

I did re-try what Jason suggested, but it did the same. My dropbox was still located on the c:/ with now a copy in my d:/. My sync is still going to the c:/ I have a business account with multiple users. I called support and he is now having me make a copy of my c:/ dropbox files to the d:/ dropbox. He said once completed to uninstall dropbox, delete the c:/ dropbox and the reinstall dropbox to the d:/ path. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @prisonrat yogi, thanks for letting me know! 

Could you share your ticket number reference with me, please? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    prisonrat yogi Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?