cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about file location

Confused about file location

pb_avl
Explorer | Level 3

I am new to the Mac but not to computers, I just switched to MacBook Pro for image processing. Now I find that I have files in two places, one seems to be in Dropbox and one not.

I have one file location that shows up as Macintosh HD->Users->myname->Pictures->2023 photos

I have another file location that shows up as Dropbox->Mac->Desktop->2023 photos

There are two different sets of folders and files under each of these. I'm having trouble understanding how to navigate to each of these, which is actually being stored by Dropbox, and what are best practices for keeping my files safe. Should I just store everything on an external hard drive and resign myself to carrying it around whenever I use the laptop?

4 Replies 4

pb_avl
Explorer | Level 3

Also, when I look at my photo files in Lightroom Classic, I see two sets of top-level folders for 2023 photos, with two different sets of folders under each. Which is also really confusing

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @pb_avl, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Are you using the Dropbox Backup feature or just syncing those files from inside your Dropbox folder on your computer?

Can you please send us a screenshot of where you're spotting those folders so that we can have a visual too?

Do you see any syncing icons on them or the files inside?

If you could also send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version of the desktop app as shown in your menu bar, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

pb_avl
Explorer | Level 3

Here are the 3 folder navigation paths that I find so confusing.

2023-05-29_16-18-17.png

2023-05-29_16-15-19.png

2023-05-29_16-14-11.png

Here is a screenshot of the folder under Dropbox itself. I don't think this is dropbox backup. It does show all my folders in the cloud and available for download.

2023-05-29_16-21-51.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

The first two screenshots seem to be showing the same folder that's located in your Dropbox folder while the 3rd screenshot seems to be a backup of a computer of yours @pb_avl 

Can you take a look at your backups page and let me know if you see it listed there? 

Also, could you send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    pb_avl Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?