cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Basic: Had to reformat/update OS on my laptop, now DB won't recognize it

DB Basic: Had to reformat/update OS on my laptop, now DB won't recognize it

TicoTico
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've used DropBox Basic for years. Everything's been fine until my 2017 MacBook Pro needed a complete OS reinstall. I formatted the drive, installed Monterey (up from Mojave), and now the DropBox login says I can't add a "new" device without getting a paid plan.

I see the laptop in my list of devices twice: the new install is "MyMBP", and the old one is "MyMBP.local". I haven't changed the name in the Sharing control panel.

I had a similar problem updating my Mac Mini to an SSD, so I can't use the SSD.

Since I'm not adding new devices, is there a solution?

Thanks.

Edit: corrected the year of my MacBook Pro.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@TicoTico wrote:

I formatted the drive, installed Monterey (up from Mojave), and now the DropBox login says I can't add a "new" device without getting a paid plan.

It may be the same device but Dropbox sees it as a different one, and with Dropbox Basic you're allowed three devices. Think of it more like three installations. Install Dropbox more than once on the same device, and Dropbox sees it as a different device.

If you're at the device limit for your account you can remove any devices that are no longer needed or recognized, then install again. Just head over to your Security page and you can remove the extra devices.

When removing a device, know that a Basic account only allows three devices now but in the past it allowed more. If you have more than three devices linked to your account at the moment, you would need to remove all but two devices before you would be able to add another.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@TicoTico wrote:

I formatted the drive, installed Monterey (up from Mojave), and now the DropBox login says I can't add a "new" device without getting a paid plan.

It may be the same device but Dropbox sees it as a different one, and with Dropbox Basic you're allowed three devices. Think of it more like three installations. Install Dropbox more than once on the same device, and Dropbox sees it as a different device.

If you're at the device limit for your account you can remove any devices that are no longer needed or recognized, then install again. Just head over to your Security page and you can remove the extra devices.

When removing a device, know that a Basic account only allows three devices now but in the past it allowed more. If you have more than three devices linked to your account at the moment, you would need to remove all but two devices before you would be able to add another.

TicoTico
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for your helpful response, Rich.

That's how Dropbox behaved this time, but it's inconsistent. When I've had to reformat and reinstall Mac OS on this laptop in the past, I made a copy of the drive and ran the Migration app off the copy. Dropbox continued to work fine. This time I migrated my data from my Time Machine backup, which didn't have a backup of all my files in /Library, where I suspect a Dropbox authorization file or key lived. So I think this is an oversight, albeit a convenient one. The inconsistent behavior is confusing, and unfortunate.

You're right, I've had at least four devices for years: iPhone, iPad, Mini, and laptop. I wish there was a "lite" plan for lightweight users like me. The least expensive plan is way more than I need.

Thanks again!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TicoTico Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?