cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbos won't start: wrong home directory

Dropbos won't start: wrong home directory

jimd2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I try to start dropbox (on an iMac running Monterey) I get a small popup with the message: "Dropbox needs to change permissions for the Folder: /Users/name1/.dropbox".  The problem is that my home directory is /Users/name2. It also rejects my password. When I click "cancel" I get another message with "Couldn't start Dropbox" and giving a link to some info, saying I should contract Dropbox support with the info.

I've removed Dropbox and all files I could find and reinstalled it, to no success.

The problem likely arose from my having to reinstall the OS, at which time I switched from user name1 to name2.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jimd2 wrote:

I've removed Dropbox and all files I could find and reinstalled it, to no success.

You need to perform a complete re-installation. Refer to Stefanie's post in the following thread.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jimd2 wrote:

You need to perform a complete re-installation. Refer to Stefanie's post in the following thread.

Need more support?