cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox 165.4.4300 on Mac 12.6.1 will not open

Dropbox 165.4.4300 on Mac 12.6.1 will not open

extrarice
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

After downloading and installing a fresh copy of the latest Drobox stand-alone installer, the Dropbox app UI will not launch. When I double-click the application, it instead brings up the Dropbox folder in Finder. No UI for customizing settings, bandwidth limits, account information, etc. I have tried running the advanced reinstall, but no luck. Any suggestions? Been using Dropbox for 6+ years...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @extrarice, do you have any apps or services that could be hiding the Dropbox icon in the menu bar?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @extrarice, how are you today?

Are you referring to the small Dropbox icon on your menu bar, next to your WiFi or the blue one that should be on your desktop?

In case you're referring to the first one, have you tried to left click on it once? Do you notice the same behavior then?

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

extrarice
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

Thanks for the reply. I don't even have the menubar icon anymore. When I double-click the application at /Applications, the Dropbox folder (~/Dropbox) opens up, but not application interface whatsoever. I am running a brand-new setup on an M2 Macbook Air with just the one user account. Any ideas?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @extrarice, do you have any apps or services that could be hiding the Dropbox icon in the menu bar?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

extrarice
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Thank you for the suggestion to look in that direction. Apple's "genius" move to put a notch on the screen that obscures the menubar has a side-effect of removing menubar items when it thinks there are too many. I disabled a few system monitor menu items and the Dropbox menu item popped right up.

I still find it odd that double-clicking the Application opens the ~/Dropbox folder instead of the application interface, but even if that is the default behavior I can at least access the interface from the menubar icon now.

CheriQ
New member | Level 2

We have 21 Mac and it is fully updated.  Dropbox made us download new update/sync on our computers.   My computer is working and my husbands is not.  We can not open the dropbox icon.  I have downloaded the 'updated version', reinstalled but the icon at the top just disappears or when we click on it we are not logged in.  It says 'starting' and blue boxes just spin.  We then get error that it can not open due to error.  

The box at the blue logo box disappears from icon screen at bottom and when we open launchpad and click it nothing happens.  

Anyone?

CheriQ
New member | Level 2

We have 2021 Mac and it is fully updated.  Dropbox made us download new update/sync on our computers.   My computer is working and my husbands is not.  We can not open from the blue dropbox icon nor the top of screen box.  I have downloaded the 'updated version', reinstalled but the icon at the top just disappears or when we click on it we are not logged in. 

Top of screen box is gray and says 'starting' and blue boxes just spin.  Shows not signed in. Can not click to sign in.  We then get error "Couldn't start Dropbox" 'This may be a temporary error. Please restarts Dropbox. For more help click the help button.'

We get a link that is coding or whatever that I have no idea what all that means.

The box with the blue logo box disappears from icon screen at bottom and when we open launchpad and click it nothing happens.  

They have made this less user friendly in my opinion over the last few years.  I use to have an app that was easy to open and maneuver, now have to click little box at top and the 'world' icon to use it via internet.  

Anyone?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear about this issue, @CheriQ

You mention in the beginning that you downloaded the new update/sync on your Mac computers. Are you referring to this update perhaps?

Can you also send me the full error log that you’re receiving along with the "Couldn't start Dropbox” error message?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?