cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

nps-ca
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@a4k04  You are RIGHT ON THE MONEY!

With the boost to 2TB that I didn't need - (needed only 1TB) strongly considering just moving to Google Drive as for LESS I get 1TB for data I need in a cloud drive and further 1TB I could use for storage with Google Photos or share with family on Google One (shared storage)

Dropbox wants to charge $200 for 2TB to share where as Google is HALF that with the same family sharing: https://one.google.com/about/plans

Google has also moved to a newer client that was used in their paid Workspace offering which is WAY better than there old terrible one.  Yet Dropbox bloated their client with Paper and other nonsense. 

So not only MISSING Apple Silicon support ONE YEAR after first dev kits, RIPPING people off.  Supported Dropbox since early days but the "falling on deaf ears" is constant lately.  Didn't need Paper or other features - need a cloud storage that is modern, efficient and priced right with support for platforms I care about.  Just set a reminder to DROP renewal of Dropbox a month before new annual billing and move to Google Cloud.

Mannaffolki
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
@nps-ca could’t agree more.

Dropbox can do whatever they want now. They’ve lost me.

@Megan suggest you get another job, because the way Dropbox is treating their customers.. sinking ship if you ask me! 😉

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Same here...I am tired of the lack of response from Dropbox to address old issues and new technologies...after 10+ years, I won't be renewing my Pro account either.

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have been watching this thread closely for a while to see if anything happens, but as we know, no dice. I contacted their support in hopes to get to a Product Manager but no such luck.

I have logged an idea with Dropbox in the hopes that gets to the Product Team opposed to the front line support team.

👍👍👍👍 Please vote on the Idea: 👍👍👍👍

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Apple-Silicon-M1-Desktop-Sync-Compatibility/idi-p/5277... 

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Threatening to leave or actually leaving a company is a deranged reply.  The rally for DB to upgrade to MI native software has 3 votes (including mine). You can't expect a company to care about an issue if the customers do not. 

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Deranged? Strong words for customers' dissatisfaction with a company that has the reach and resources that Dropbox does, and has yet to provide users with even a beta to demonstrate that they are in some sort of a "rally", as you call it.

What other voice do customers have than their choice to either support or not support a company with their subscription investment? Nothing deranged about it to withdraw support after a while.

And customers obviously *do* care, as you can see in this thread. But I do agree with you that upvoting this "idea" is also a voice that we have, so I also just upvoted it, even though I believe it to be a necessity, rather than an idea or feature.

xjayxx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Updating this little sync app is a matter of days. If the code is good a few hours... Even a intern can do that. 

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
I seriously doubt that it’s a trivial task to make this a Universal app, because Dropbox chose to turn what used to be a simple syncing app into a bloated “do everything” app.

They painted themselves into a corner just as Apple did with iTunes (now turned into 3 separate apps), or like Adobe has now done with their Creative Cloud app, which now combines so many functions outside of being just a Dashboard to install/deinstall/update all of their software, that they also still don’t even have a beta Universal version even though they already have full release Apple Silicon versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, and Illustrator, and beta AS versions of most of their other apps (save for After Effects and a few others).

Dropbox has become bloatware and we Apple Silicon users are paying the price…and staying mum is not doing them (or us) any favors.

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I see the same attitude in threads about Apple..."I have been a customer since the moon landing....I will leave if...Thats it! I'm cancelling if...if I don't get my way!!". I choose my words carefully. This kind of entitled reply is "deranged" because it is ineffectual; it is an illusion of power.  Companies direct their resources to deliver the good and services that the majority of their customers want. That is why they inundate you with surveys.

Rally other people for your M1 native software.  But like any request, even requests that sound more like emotional demands, you won't convince Dropbox (or Apple) to do anything unless they understand a significant number of their customers want this change. (There are 3 votes so far for an M1 version, compared to thousands for others)

Dropbox will get to M1 native versions eventually for the long term health of the service. There is a percentage of Dropbox customers that are with Apple, there is percentage of those Apple users that have M1 chips. To focus resources on this feature at the present time is obviously not a priority. 

I voted it up. I want it to happen. Guess why? Because I'm on a M1 Mac. I didn't care less last week about Dropbox and M1 because I didn't have one. Thats not a coincidence.

Then again. I'M LEVEL 9!!! (Like the Beatle's Song!) Dropbox better DO iT! or I'LL USE MORE CAPS!!!

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Points well taken. I don’t think you’re wrong, but I still think that “deranged” is too strong a word for a natural tendency to want to affect change by means of an emotional response. “Misguided”, sure, but not quite deranged, at least for the vast majority of those customers.

But I hear ya, brother 🙂
And I’m merely a Level 7, so what do I know?
Need more support?