cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Maestral is indeed a great choice for most of the essential features of Dropbox, but the one glaring omission - at least to my workflow - is that it does not yet support differential copy mode, assuring that only those bits/blocks that were changed are copied again. When you deal with very frequent changes of portions of the same file, which might be many gigabytes in size, whether only a few megabytes of the entirety of the gigabytes are copied does make a huge difference over the course of a day. But for many, if not most, people it can probably more than suffice.

Still, should paying Dropbox users really have to resort to going such a route, one year after the Apple Silicon transition was announced, and one year after a great number of important Mac developers were presenting their solutions for AS the day of the announcement? (it's a rhetorical question, in my mind)

Mindspan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The only way they are able to accomplish this is to compromise security by decrypting your files. I use a lot of large files too, but in light of this I am now considering switching to Sync... particularly given I reside in Canada where our privacy protection laws are much stronger and we are not subject to the provisions of the Patriot Act et al. 

alexanderwolf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks everyone for recommending Maestral.  I had not even heard of it before!  

Surprising indeed that on my M1 MacBook, the only process still running on Rosetta/Intel is Dropbox. The fact that Adobe lapped Dropbox so long ago says a lot!

tonychan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I got my m1 today. Really surprised that Dropbox is not updated the app with M1 native yet.

The M1 Mac mini released on Nov 2020, and it is the 3rd round Apple release M1 products (mini, air, pro).

Interesting to know whether this company layoff most the programmer?

Ioannis_T
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

for anyone that follows this thread please go to the "idea" link M1 native request (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Apple-Silicon-M1-Desktop-Sync-Compatibility/idi-p/5277... ) and vote.

Maybe, just maybe they start thinking about it

ryno1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Please get it done already, running natively on Apple Silicon is a must moving forwards

+1000

Fabio L.
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

samedwards
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I almost always share with other mac users, who all seem to upgrading to Apple silicon. My machine is on order. Good think there are choices in the file sharing space these days.

PG2003
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Way too late! 8 months have gone by without feedback from Dropbox.  

I've already subscribed an alternative cloud storage service.

ZHD
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can't believe it. After months of silence, Dropbox accepted the "feature request" yesterday ..... I hope now, that we get something next year that works.

Frankly: Next year somewhere in the first half? You need again another 3/4 of a year?

www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Apple-Silicon-M1-Desktop-Sync-Compatibility/idi-p/527743

www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Apple-Silicon-M1-Desktop-Sync-Compatibility/idc-p/553669/highl...

From a Community Manager yesterday (28.10.2021)

"Dropbox currently supports Apple M1 through Rosetta. We have an internal build for native Apple M1 support, which we're currently testing and we’re committed to releasing in the first half of 2022. While we regularly ask for customer feedback and input on new products or features, this should not have been one of those instances. 

Status changed to: Accepted"

Need more support?