cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

tekno_boy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's crazy.

Attention Dropbox. There is a reason why people want native apps and it's not just because it has far better performance, but because will all the companies like you who are slow to change are saying "oh it runs fine under rosetta2", maybe, but running 10 programs and all their helpers under Rosetta sure slows everything down!

You won't miss me Dropbox (I'm a free user with only one reason to use Dropbox which I am about to change).

But make no mistake, most of your customers with apple silicon (and I'm betting after Apple's unleashed event that will very soon be a substantial number) will not tolerate non native apps for long.

What most people want is a commitment to change and some transparency as to how it will be rolled out.

Dropbox. Are you going to make an M1 version (it seems insane to think you wouldn't)? and when will it happen?

Until you tell people, I can't imagine M1 users not leaving in droves...

over_promise_over_deliver
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox,

Of all 453 processes running,  the only one which still is Intel based... is :upside_down:Dropbox👻. 

I was waiting for you guys and Spotify. Spotify won today.

It gave me an automatic update to a new stable version which is Apple M1 optimised. 

Proof: 

over_promise_over_deliver_1-1634419712473.png

Dropbox.. we are waiting on you. Make it happen.

over_promise_over_deliver_0-1634419311620.png

PlentyGood
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As of today, Box for Apple Silicon is out of beta so it is now fully native.

It's only Dropbox left, fully in the old Intel world, no signs of even a beta for Apple Silicon.

Apple already sells no portable computers left with Intel, and only one old iMac version and the $$$$ Mac Pro.

It's time to migrate to something else, folks. Box? OneDrive? iCloud Drive? All of them native or in beta as native now.

mbingel
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@PlentyGoodNot sure where you found a native M1 Mac version for OneDrive (Business).

I started using Maestral (open source) for DropBox, now testing StrongSync (paid, by ExpanDrive) for OneDrive Business.

So I can finally retire my old Intel MacBook and use my M1 MacBook with 100% native software.

Mindspan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You have had nearly 2 years since the transition to Apple Silicon was announced, Dropbox. I have been a paid customer for a very long time, but will absolutely be looking for other options if a native application is not released soon. I didn't just spend over $5K for a new MacBook Pro Max so that it could be slowed down by software from companies who can't be bothered to make the transition. So it will be goodbye Dropbox in short order when my new computer arrives if I don't see some kind of indication that Dropbox is at least working on this, complete with a timeline to its anticipated release. 

Schnurrbernd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Agree with Mindspan. Apple silicon was announced a long time ago. Even the lazy folks at Adobe got their major programs updated. Who would’ve thought?!

Adobe managed to update their programs such as Illustrator or Photoshop with its 20+ years of code. And then there’s Dropbox. Basically just a little utility tool. Two years and no word of native support. Sometimes I wonder how some managers made it so far.

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Despite this thread the stock price is holding solid… I mean cmon!!

canzop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue here,  M1's are selling like hotcakes!  What other laptop will have 20 hour battery life anytime soon?

Schnurrbernd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, not our Macs either if Dropbox doesn't update their app. 

Esbozo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Guys, you have Maestral an Open source Dropbox client. 5 times less RAM consumption than the official app and MacOS built: Maestral

Just try it and thank the people behind it (not Dropbox)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jat1971 Helpful | Level 6
    cuddy58 New member | Level 2
    Michael B.10 Experienced | Level 13
    afsd Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?