cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Backup - 2 Questions

Dropbox Backup - 2 Questions

thethinman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm currently on the Dropbox Plus plan and work on a MacBook Pro. I want to be able to work on files inside my home desktop/document folders, rather than working on them in the Dropbox folder. Dropbox Backup looks like it will allow me to do this and any changes I've made in my home files will be automatically synced/backed up on dropbox without me having to worry about moving them (or copies of them) into the Dropbox folder. So far so good. Here are my 2 questions:

1) my current dropbox folder contains many of the same folders I want to backup. should I delete those from my dropbox folder before I enable the backup, so those folders can be backed up from scratch? I asked this in customer support chat and was advised to keep the folders there, do the backup and then when the backup was done, to then delete the files in dropbox that were on a different file path. This seems confusing (which files are on the file path I no longer want?) and also tedious (I have a lot files in those folders). Just wanted to get a second opinion on this. If it's as simple as the newer backup Documents folder saying "Documents 2", then I don't need to worry - I can just delete the first Documents folder after the backup. Thoughts? 

2) I am using iCloud drive to backup things like photos, music, the mac applications (mail, safari, contacts, calendars, etc.). On the chat, customer support mentioned that the backup feature will back up some of the system folders. Does this mean Dropbox and iCloud may both be backing up some of the same things? If so, is this an issue? Could they interfere with each other? I should have asked this in the chat but didn't.

Your feedback is appreciated.  

Thanks,

Mike 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @thethinman, thanks for writing back to me. 

When trying to enable the Computer backup, you should see an error that mentions the path that's already in iCloud. 

It would indicate that the feature hasn't been enabled for said path. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @thethinman 

I think the issue you may have here is that backup folders do not work like regular sync ones. So you wont have the ability to open files etc via Finder like you do with files currently if they are part of the BackUp system. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @thethinman, I'd be happy to answer this one for you! 

In regards to your first question, my answer is actually the same, the support agent you talked to has already provided. I think the reason we suggest that, is to be extra safe when it comes down to your files. 

Backing them up, making sure everything can be found online, and then deleting is the safest route. 

Not saying that if you delete what's already in the Dropbox folder, and start from scratch that'll cause issues. Essentially you can go on about this the way you feel safer, and most comfortable doing. 

As for your second question, if your paths are being used by iCloud too, then the Computer backup isn't going to be enabled. You can have a look into this here

I hope this clarifies. If you have any other questions, let me know. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

thethinman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you Mark. Question: are you saying that I won't be able to open and work on my files in my home desktop/document folders (via Finder) after I get them backed up into Dropbox? Hopefully that is not what you meant, as I thought that the whole point of Backup was to allow you to work in your home folders and have those changes automatically backed up in Dropbox. 

I'm assuming what you meant was I wouldn't be able to open up and work on files inside the dropbox folder. If that is the case, I don't think that will be an issue, as the whole point of this for me is to be able to work in one place: my home desktop/document folders.

Let me know what you think.  

Thanks,

Mike 

thethinman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Megan!

thethinman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Megan, a question about this statement in the Dropbox instructions: If any of the folders are already backed up to another cloud storage provider (like iCloud, OneDrive, or Google Backup and Sync), disable those backups and ensure your files are back in their original folders on your computer. (If you’re not sure how, consult that company’s help center).

Will Dropbox automatically not back up a folder that is already being backed up by iCloud? In other words, if I fail to disable an iCloud backup for a folder I've chosen for my Dropbox backup, will Backup automatically leave that off the backup without causing any issues? I ask because there are a few folders in my finder which I am not sure are backed up by iCloud. One example is the Music folder. In iCloud drive there is a "Music" checkbox, which I have checked, so presumably it is backing up everything that is in the "Music" folder in Finder, but I don't actually know. There is also a Pictures folder, in which I have some pictures that I don't think were ever put into the Photo app. and therefore, I don't think are being backed up by iCloud, as I think that only backs up the official Photos app. 

Thanks,

Mike 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @thethinman, thanks for writing back to me. 

When trying to enable the Computer backup, you should see an error that mentions the path that's already in iCloud. 

It would indicate that the feature hasn't been enabled for said path. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

thethinman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Got it, thanks so much Megan!

😀

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No problem at all, @thethinman

If you need anything else, I'll be one post away!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    thethinman Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?