cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Our new Dropbox updates make your online life easier. See how you can store online-only files, edit photos in Dropbox and annotate PDFs with these updates.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Badge Causes Excel to Prompt for VBAProject Password After Closing

Re: Dropbox Badge Causes Excel to Prompt for VBAProject Password After Closing

H.A. M.
New member | Level 1
We are still experiencing this problem with Windows 7 and WIndows 10 machines. Excel 2010 and Excel 2016 are affected. I haven't seen any posts since October. I hope the engineering team has a fix coming soon. Thanks H.A.

Nate P.2
New member | Level 1

My largest concern with this problem is that it is accessing files that are not even associated to Drop Box... on top of that attempting to access VBA Project Model information. I have confidential and company sensitive information within the documents Drop Box is attempting to access.

Due to the lack of resolution I advised my company to discontinue all use of Drop Box until further notice. (As of the October 29 2015 response) We cannot have sensitive information being accessed without permission.

Moss T.
New member | Level 1

Any progress here? This is still putting the damper on using badge with my excel applications.

Robert C.40
New member | Level 1

Be aware that this is also affecting 100's of users that I support!  Please update us with the latest status of this issue ...

Stepan S.
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I have a business version of dropbox, this error affects all my users. How come there isn't a solution yet???

Marcus O.
New member | Level 2

Until they reply the thread, the best bet is to get your users to disable the badge in the Dropbox preferences:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/7713

Randy A.2
New member | Level 2

Really need a solution to this. 9 Months since this bug was first reported. Dropbox, please?

Ronnie N.2
New member | Level 1

Can only concur! Suddenly our excelfiles began prompting for VBA Password and crashed Excel when exiting. First thought it was something with a new Excel-version that had broken our macros and went through a lot of code finding nothing that could cause it. Then found this and realized it had started happening after having installed Dropbox. Uninstalled the client and everything is working fine again. This needs to be adressed!

Mike M.133
New member | Level 1

As Marcus suggested the only thing that I have seen work is to disable the badges.

Go to Dropbox preferences and set badges to never show.  I like the badges but hate the password popup worse!  Turned the badges off and really enjoy not having the password popup again. Problem since July of last year for me.

S S.10
New member | Level 1

I am also experiencing this issue and have created a short video (1 min 2 seconds) clearly demonstrating the issue:

http://screencast.com/t/V3Lctr1z

I have a created a simple macro enabled spreadsheet Test.xlsm that is not in a Dropbox folder.  It contains a single UserForm with nothing on it and the VBA Project is password protected.  After opening the Text.xlsm spreadsheet, I am showing the UserForm using a function I named Test_Show_vbModeless

If the Dropbox Badge is set to "Always show" Excel prompts on exit for a password and also crashes Excel.

If the Dropbox Badge is set to "Never show" Excel behaves as expected.  No prompt for password on exit and Excel does not crash.

The Application event log captures the following information:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.7168.5000, time stamp: 0x56eade71
Faulting module name: COMCTL32.DLL, version: 5.82.9600.17810, time stamp: 0x553afcee
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0006e259
Faulting process id: 0x840
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1dc7ca6b60dee
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.9600.17810_none_7c5b6194aa0716f1\COMCTL32.DLL
Report Id: eb81adb6-486f-11e6-8271-605718b7c5fe
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Can a DROPBOXER please respond to when this will be addressed?  I am willing to provide the Text.xlsm spreadsheet I created if it can help you to isolate and fix the issue. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jaccobk New member | Level 2
    paulbrit Explorer | Level 4
    McCrizzle New member | Level 2
    Nico B.2 New member | Level 1
    S S.10 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?