cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iOS Dropbox Sidebar Integration Not Working

Dropbox Not Connecting With Files on iPadOS

colonialchurch
Explorer | Level 3

I recently switched to an iPad for work but when using Dropbox accessed through the iPadOS Files app, I frequently (multiple times a day now) have to sit and wait for up to 15 minutes or so before Dropbox will load. After talking with Apple, they insist it’s a Dropbox issue (and granted I don’t have this issue with anything iCloud or Google related) but I’m not finding anything online either.

When you go to the Files app and select Dropbox the issue occurs either at that level or after a few more folders in. When you try to load anything from dropbox (where is always different so not related to just one folder or file) it doesn’t respond for several minutes. After several minutes go by (always a different amount of time as far as I can tell) the file or folder will finally load and be usable. On times that I have already loaded some of Dropbox first, all that information still appears to be available but Dropbox has become unusable until it catches up again.

There is more than enough space available in Dropbox and the internet speed is very fast.

Any ideas for how to fix this issue (other than “don’t use the Files app”?

Thanks!

17 Replies 17

colonialchurch
Explorer | Level 3

Done!

3x3x3
Explorer | Level 3

I’ve had an issue with Dropbox on my iPad for as long as I’ve used both. I’m currently running 16.1.1.

The issue is when selecting Dropbox from the sidebar to attach or open a file from another app, it does not connect. It will work briefly after a restart.

Anyone else have this issue or a solution?D40F78D6-3C6C-49CB-94C4-822F7D4B43C5.jpeg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @3x3x3, how are you today?

Can you walk me through the steps you follow on your end when this happens? Also, which Dropbox version are you using on your iPad? 

Also, is this screenshot from your iPad's Files app?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

3x3x3
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan - this particular screenshot is from Mail. However this occurs routinely with other apps as well, notably Safari. 

Dropbox has been added to the sidebar; in Mail the process is simply selecting the 'add file' button. In Safari on various sites when prompted to upload an image a similar file selection window opens. 

Selecting the Dropbox icon in the sidebar does not connect to Dropbox. I have removed/re-added the service but that does not solve the issue. Restarting the iPad solves the issue temporarily. 

Dropbox version is whatever is current from software update. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @3x3x3, does your Dropbox mobile app have a passcode enabled on it for security purposes?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

3x3x3
Explorer | Level 3
It does not. I’ve also tried making specific files available offline, but the problem persists.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @3x3x3, sorry to jump in, but could you try toggling off Dropbox from your iPad's locations in the Files app and then back on?

Let us know if you see any improvements afterwards. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

GliderGuy
New member | Level 2

Same exact problem.  
Issue has existed for multiple versions of the Dropbox app, multiple versions of iPadOS.  Each time a new dropbox app or version of iPadOS is released I HOPE the issue will be resolved only to be disappointed since I expected a different result 🙂
It’ll work after a restart of the device, until it ‘hangs’ and then it won’t work again until after another restart.  Force quitting the dropbox app, files app, or the app trying to save or attach a file to does not resolve.  Only ‘fix’ is to restart the device again.  It can be days or weeks between these forced restarts or mere minutes to hours before it hiccups and one cannot view/save any dropbox files via Files.  This is an annoying issue with not much to be found online regarding the issue.  Hazard a guess something in data exchange between dropbox & iPadOS/iPhoneOS hangs, has no error messaging/logging/recovery leaving users in the dark as to cause, fix, workaround.

Need more support?