cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox asking if i want to backup external drive?

Dropbox asking if i want to backup external drive?

Doug F.7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Saw a Dropbox notification just now asking if i want to sync one of my external drives to dropbox. I use backblaze for my external drives and don’t want them backed up on dropbox (they are gigantic).

Anyone know what Dropbox settings I should look at that would be causing this?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Christian K.13, thanks for reaching out to us.

If you click your Dropbox icon, then on your initials/profile pic, then on "preferences" and then on "backups", you should be able to see a "show setup notifications when a new external drive is plugged in" option.

By unchecking this option, the pop-ups should stop.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Doug F.7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Here's the Dropbox notification - Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 12.00.50 PM.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Doug F.7, I hope you're doing well! 

It seems this is a beta product, which means our team is still working on it. 

You should be able to find the backups under your app's preferences

Click the Backups tab and you should see the settings related to this there, right?  

If you don't want to set-up the new feature, you should click on 'Don't ask me again' and then 'Not now'.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

chuckleamon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having this "problem" as well.  I'll NEVER backup an external drive to my dropbox. My external drives are my backups!  Why would I want to backup my backups?  Stupid idea. 

I have checked "Don't ask again", and clicked "Not Now", BUT every time I connect a different external drive it asks me again.  I just want to turn this feature off FOREVER.

If this is a "beta" product, I'd like to be asked if I want to participate in your beta testing rather than having is shoved down my throat.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@chuckleamon wrote:

Why would I want to backup my backups?  Stupid idea.

Not everyone uses their external drives for backups. Many use them as their primary storage, and having backups of those drives is actually very smart.

I have checked "Don't ask again", and clicked "Not Now", BUT every time I connect a different external drive it asks me again.  I just want to turn this feature off FOREVER.

Then turn it off in Dropbox Preferences.

3b8dfdf2de5c8dadb64663c5b32b9e35.png

I'd like to be asked if I want to participate in your beta testing rather than having is shoved down my throat.

I don't know if this is still considered a feature in beta, but you control your own beta inclusion. It's a setting in your account called Early releases.

chuckleamon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the reply,  I saw that setting, but it wasn't clear if "hiding the notifications" meant that it would just go ahead to perform the backup without telling, or that it was disabling that feature.

Also, I have the setting disabled to be included in Early Releases.  So, why did I get this feature (it was called beta by another person (Lori) in this thread).

Yes I know, people use their external drives as primary storage, as do I.  BUT I have around 24 TB in total, and at least 75% of that is backups.  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@chuckleamon wrote:

Also, I have the setting disabled to be included in Early Releases.  So, why did I get this feature (it was called beta by another person (Lori) in this thread).

What version of the Dropbox app are you running? If the middle digit is a 3, as in 127.3.4263, then you're on a beta release. Once you install a beta you'll remain on the beta channel until you uninstall and reinstall a stable release (and ensure the early releases option is off). If the middle digit is a 4, then you're on a stable release and the backup feature is not (or no longer) a beta.

chuckleamon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My version is 126.4.4618.  What is the latest stable version (for mac)?

Taleya
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'll agree that "Hide notifications" is very weasel worded and I do not trust it. I don't want to hide notifications, I want to disable it entirely. I do not want dropbox looking at anything but the folder it's defined as - and we should be able to set that hard limit in the settings.

PaulC2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This feature is no longer labelled as 'beta', but Dropbox continually asks me to backup USB keys

Even ticking 'Don't ask me again' does nothing, it will prompt me everytime

It's in Dropboxs interests to get you into backing up devices, so I'm quite sure they know the 'don't ask me again' feature does not work properly.

Personally I'm just so tired of companies where the support team tells you one thing, yet it's in complete contrast to how the software actually behaves.

Lets just say it like it is.

It's not confusion or miscommunciation, it's just straight up deceit for commercial interests.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Christian K.13 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    PaulC2 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?