cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder empty but Macbook Air full?

Dropbox folder empty but Macbook Air full?

WicklowMan
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Community, 

I want my Macbook Air completely empty but to see all my folders in the Dropbox folder on the laptop and download, edit and save back up to Dropbox as I need them.

I must have made a mistake as all my files downloaded from Dropbox and the laptop is 100% full. 

I went into Sync - Selective Sync and deselected all the folders. 

Now I have no files on the laptop but it is useless as it is 100% maxed out. I have deleted the Dropbox app, restarted the laptop and reinstalled the Dropbox app. 

I am flying tomorrow March 23 and need it for work, any help greatly appreciated. 

Macbook Air 2017

macOs Monterey 12.6.3

Dropbox v169.4.5684 

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @WicklowMan, let's jump right into this! 

There are a couple of things for us to go over. First thing is that you mentioned you want all of your files and folders visible in your Dropbox folder locally, and for you to be able to download, and edit them whenever you need them. 

When using selective sync, you wouldn't be able to see your folders inside your Dropbox folder, since they would only be available online. You can always sync them back to the device, however they shouldn't appear in your Dropbox folder. 

The feature you're looking for is the ability to make files and folders online-only, which would be available to you, if you're using a paid plan. That way, you can still see the content locally on the device, but it wouldn't be using your hard drive space.

Now onto the second thing you mentioned: when using selective sync, and since the content is no longer syncing to the device, your computer space shouldn't be maxed out. 

It should be less than before. Can you therefore clarify the app's exact syncing status, just to check if it's currently up to date? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

WicklowMan
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Thank you for the fast response, really appreciate it.

I am on Dropbox Plus.

How do I 'turn on' Online Only?

Regards the Sync Status, it says 'Your files are up to date'. But the only file in my Dropbox folder on the laptop is a Get started with Dropbox.pdf

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @WicklowMan, if you used selective sync, in order to remove your content, it'd make sense that you wouldn't see any other content. 

As for online only, did you take a look at the steps in this Help Center article? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    WicklowMan Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?