cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox fully ignores shutdown/logoff events and generates over9000 processes

Dropbox fully ignores shutdown/logoff events and generates over9000 processes

falcon4fun
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox fully ignores any shutdown and logoff events and generates around 2000 Dropbox.exe processes on shutdown!

It's enormous! Software should monitor WM_ENDSESSION or similar events and close by itself.

Case:

Platfrom: Windows

Client: Dropbox

WaitToKillAppTimeout: 15s

WaitToKillServiceTimout: 15s

You press reboot button and get dump of 2400 processes where 1800+ are "Dropbox.exe" because it tries to relaunch itself like crazy.

Proof 1. 1854 processes: https://i.imgur.com/bOfm6k0.png

Proof 2. 10 second (from 5s to 15s) of Dropbox trying to relaunch itself:  https://gfycat.com/HelpfulSereneArgusfish

Proof 3. Another dump. 1200 of 1500 are Dropbox process. https://i.imgur.com/LVk1qjP.png

Proof 4. Another dump. 1800 of 2200 are Dropbox process. https://i.imgur.com/MsENKwB.png

Proof 5. And another dump

Proof 6. And another dump

Proof 7. And another dump..

Steps to reproduce:

1. Windows Performance Recorder from latest WinSDK

2. Scenario: Reboot Cycle. First level triage. Iterations: 1.

3. Check etl dump using Windows Performance analyzer from WinSDK you downloaded before

Solution:

1. Monitor Windows native events like WM_QUERYENDSESSION and WM_ENDSESSION to gracefully close software

2. Stop parent process ability to launch child processes after shutdown / logoff event occured

3. Gracefully close itself without waiting for timeout

4. STOP TRYING TO RELAUNCH ITSELF OVER9000 NUMBER OF TIMES!

What is with Dropbox programmers? They don't know about shutdown events? Then they should try to read some official MSDN documentation 

Why should I create workaround instead monitoring System logs with source User32 event 1074 to taskkill Dropbox BEFORE shutdown/logoff?

I would be very grateful if smb added 1-2 lines of code to parent process.

Have not found any normal way to contact any support team. So, PLEASE ESCALATE THIS.

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @falcon4fun, I hope you're doing well! 

In regards to all these events, and the app shutting down, does that happen when you choose to quit the app? If you could let me know the version that you're using, that'd be amazing. 

Also, does the performance of your machine get affected by these other shutdown processes? Feel free to attach your screenshots here, -if possible- because we're not allowed to open any external links on our end. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

falcon4fun
Explorer | Level 3

No. Program will surely quit gracefuly if it's closed by Exit code function (mouse2 -> close). Proof: https://i.imgur.com/bkPL7Xt.png

The same should exist during any native windows broadcast event message which presumes to gracefully shutdown all applications before shutdown / reboot.

Moreover, it's just normal coding tone (and not so much code it really):

try {
    # main code
} catch (Any_EndSession_Events) {
    gracefull_shutdown_function(); # same function used to quit program via context menu
}

Build versions:

Win 10 x64: 22H2 19045.2673

Dropbox: 168.4.4802

Obviously, creating around 2000 child processes per 10 second (around 200 child processes per second) during shutdown execution will consume "quite" many cpu cycles.

I can even suggest send dump from Windows Performance Recorder if smb will try to analyze it but can't do it here (public) because it can/will contain quite many personal information. 🙂

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @falcon4fun, thanks for the added info! 

We appreciate the feedback you've given about the Dropbox desktop application. We take all comments into consideration when improving our apps and service.

Have a lovely weekend ahead,enjoy!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    falcon4fun Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?