cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta Build 163.3.5425 indexing forever and could not sync files

Dropbox macOS Beta (fileproviderd based Dropbox) is an absolute nightmare!

mwdiers
Helpful | Level 5

I made the mistake of opting in to the Dropbox beta which is based on macOS fileproviderd integration, which the update notice insisted was perfectly safe. It is anything but. For the record, I am on an M1 Max laptop, running Monterey.

This is a disaster. Things seemed to be fine. I had every folder set for offline access, which worked fine for a while. Then today, after a reboot, I lost offline access to the entire Dropbox folder. The files were just gone, and had to be downloaded from scratch.

Despite having everything marked as "make files available offline", Dropbox decided there were no local files at all. Even my sidebar shortcuts to folders in my Dropbox disappeared.

I lost days of work. For whatever reason, any files updated in the last few days were not synced. After the reboot, the new offline versions of those updated files that had not synced (Logic Pro X projects in this case) disappeared, and the only available files were the older online versions. New files were simply missing. Poof, gone! I verified this by checking my Dropbox on the web. Only the old versions of those files were there. None of the new files.

I've had it. I've used Dropbox for years. But now I cannot trust it to do the most basic thing: DON'T DELETE MY DATA!!!! I have always been skeptical about the just-in-time offline file sync. I never trusted it. That's why I marked everything for offline use. But Dropbox, in their infinite wisdom, has removed a universal setting for this. I just had to trust that by marking every folder as offline, my data would remain local. My skepticism was well placed.

I THINK I have a valid Time Machine backup on my Synology. Let's hope this new Cloud location is not excluded from that backup. Otherwise I'm completely screwed.

Regardless, you have lost a customer. I'm not coming back.

41 Replies 41

mwdiers
Helpful | Level 5

I'm back home. Thankfully, the Dropbox location WAS backed up in Time Machine, and I was able to restore my entire Dropbox as of last night, to a separate location.

I have uninstalled Dropbox, killed and removed the LaunchAgent, and deleted the Dropbox folder in CloudStorage.

Amazingly, everything accessing those files which were formerly in Dropbox is now fast and snappy. I had no idea how slow Dropbox was making my laptop.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mwdiers, I hope you're doing well!

Your feedback regarding our app has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Janesco
Explorer | Level 4

Beta

I installed beta on one of my computers. All installation went fine but app keeps on syncing.

So it is still not up to date. I use my laptop to work with dropbox and still see that beta app is still not syncing changes.

any ideas, did restart, tried to set document to offline but nothing happens. Quite annoying, cannot use my computer because it does not sync properly

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Janesco, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The files that are trying to sync, are they based in different folders or the same folder?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Janesco
Explorer | Level 4

in different folders. Folders are completely out of sync. Forcing them to download offline is also doing nothing.

I deleted and tried to revert to common app instead of beta resulting in total failure.

Now in contact with support but solution provided is also not solving the issue.

Waiting on the response of support how to continue

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, since you're already in contact with the support team directly, they'll be able to provide more specific support to your device and account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

VictorYan
Explorer | Level 4

After installing Beta Build 163.3.5425 on my iMac 24" with latest macOS Ventura 13.0.1, files could not sync with Dropbox cloud version.

The desktop app is taking forever to index the files.

Please advise if there is any solution or how could I restore the desktop app to stable version.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @VictorYan, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you're using the beta app, then it can take some time for the indexing to complete. 

Has the location for your Dropbox folder changed to the CloudStorage location?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

VictorYan
Explorer | Level 4

I believe the folder has changed to CloudStorage location

Need more support?