cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on Debian 12. But it wants to sync all of my Dropbox files down to the debian box.

Dropbox on Debian 12. But it wants to sync all of my Dropbox files down to the debian box.

GTFreymann
Explorer | Level 3

I successfully installed Dropbox on a headless Debian 12 VPS. I authorized it and it works. 

I am hoping to be able to backup files on the debian machine to my Dropbox account, as I have lots of room on my Dropbox.

However, when I start Dropbox it then wants to sync all of my Dropbox files down to the debian box which I don't want.

I tried some command line options using the python script:

./dropbox.py exclude remove Apps

Where "Apps" is a folder in my dropbox that I don't want to sync down to the Debian box.

I believe this resulted in the Apps folder being deleted from Dropbox!! I had to go to deleted files and restore.

So my Dropbox has all sorts of files in it... and I don't want any of those files/folders to be synced down to the Debian box. I can't figure out the syntax to use to tell dropbox on the debian box to ignore syncing specific folders that are in my dropbox.

Once I can get dropbox to stop pulling down all those files, then I just want to symlink a backup directory into the Dropbox folder on the Debian box, and have those backup files go out to Dropbox. That should be as easy just dropping files into the Dropbox folder on the debian box.

I'm sure the command is easy but now I'm afraid to play more because I don't want it to fill up my debian drive and I don't want to risk deleting files on dropbox.

13 Replies 13

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Once again: Your command will work only when your current working directory is the Dropbox folder! In such a way the folder name is path too. Otherwise no.

To work in all cases you may try something like:

~/dropbox.py exclude add ~/Dropbox/Apps

Good luck.

GTFreymann
Explorer | Level 3

Awh, I see 🙂

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks! 

GTFreymann
Explorer | Level 3

@GTFreymann wrote:

Awh, I see 🙂

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks! 

~/dropbox.py exclude add ~/Dropbox/Apps

This works!

I started dropbox and then had to keep listing the ~/Dropbox folder in order to see what folders it was syncing, and then run the command on that Directory one by one as they appeared.

Great news! I hope this helps somebody in the future.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@GTFreymann wrote:

..., and then run the command on that Directory one by one as they appeared.

One more thing: You don't need to run the command for every one folder. You may list more folders at the same time if you want. For instance you may execute something like:

~/dropbox.py exclude add ~/Dropbox/Apps ~/Dropbox/Documents

In such a way both Apps and Documents will be excluded. 😉

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    GTFreymann Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?