cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Help us get a better understanding of what this Community means to you by taking our quick survey over here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Dropbox only allows Online mode when I install it on a laptop

Dropbox only allows Online mode when I install it on a laptop

Beano
Explorer | Level 3

I've used Dropbox a long time to keep files on my two 'tower PCs' in line.  I'd also been using Dropbox on a laptop, in order to access SOME of the files/folders offline, by using Selective Sync.

I had some problems with the laptop, and had to remove Dropbox and Chrome and start all over again.  However, the attempt to do the Dropbox Installation is saying there is not enough disk space to use 'normal mode', ie I can only set it up in Online Mode.  

Do you know why this is, and hopefully how to get around  it?

Yes, there probably would NOT be enough space on the laptop to install ALL my Dropbox files; but in any case that is NOT what I want to do.  I only want to have a few Selected folders on the laptop.

I get the impression that Dropbox Setup is asking things in the wrong order. If it asked me first WHICH folders I wanted on the laptop, it would find that there IS enough space for THEM.

Perhaps there is something else that is wrong, which is preventing me from getting the Setup that I want.

Any help or guidance would be welcome. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox only allows Online mode when I install it on a laptop

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Beano, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you install the app with Smart Sync enabled, is it not possible to then use selective sync afterwards during or after the installation?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Beano
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your feedback.  There's good news and bad news.  Good news is that my laptop is up and running with Dropbox, and Selective Sync just in place for the specific Folder that I wanted.  The bad news is that I dont really understand how I got there.  

As noted earlier, I had to remove and reinstall both Dropbox and Chrome.  At that point it seemed to be ensisting that I use Online mode only for DB.

After your feedback, I looked again.  I got some msg saying that Dropbox had been successfully installed; though I was under the impression the reinstallation had already finished the PREVIOUS time that I tried things.  Anyway, I then discovered that it WAS now possible to choose the Selective Sync option.  I had to go through a process of REMOVING all the folders (except the one I wanted) from the Selective Sync list; and so eventually things seem to be OK.

So to summarise, yes perhaps your suggestion is what works, ie choose Online and then go back and change it to Selective Sync; but honestly I am not sure.  

I think there is some deficiency in DB in this area.  What I think it SHOULD do at Setup is to allow you to choose Selective, and THEN warn you that you dont have enough space for ALL your DB folders and files, and give you at that point the option of saying which ones you DO want Selected, after which it should confirm that you DO have enough space for the chosen ones.

Perhaps you to put that suggestion to the Designers.

Thanks again

Roger Keynes

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update and feedback on this matter. We take all comments into consideration when looking to improve the Dropbox service and app.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Beano Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?