cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox support for MacOS 12.3 - can we finally upgrade?

Dropbox support for MacOS 12.3 - can we finally upgrade?

paul20
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I cannot find anywhere anyone saying that Dropbox properly supports MacOS 12.3, even though it was released weeks ago and has now been superseded by 12.3.1 with zero-day fixes.  I can find discussion of this question in the past, and I can find several users having significant problems with 12.3 as recently as this morning (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/High-CPU-Usage-after-updating-MacBook-...), but not anywhere where Dropbox can say that 12.3 is actually supported.  As of 3 weeks ago, the most that was said was that it was not fully supported yet.  Since then there has been a conspicuous silence.  (The issue, of course, is that Apple finally completely banned the file system extension Dropbox was using, per what they had been promising for years.)

Is 12.3 officially supported?  What are the limitations associated with running Dropbox in 12.3, if any?

93 Replies 93

arndtk
Helpful | Level 5

unbelievable that you completely ignore all the frustrated users and messages!!!

I have never experienced such a bad support...

dogwooddrive
Explorer | Level 4

I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable. I've been a Dropbox user for a decade and the last 2 years have turned my positive feelings for the platform into spite. I used to suggest Dropbox as a solution to at my job and to clients. I would never do that in 2022. I've already downgraded my account from the absurd "Pro" service and will unsubscribe entirely if this new deadline is not met promptly. You had runway and now you've had 2 full years. A company of this size not fully supporting MacOS is pathetic and inexcusable.

arndtk
Helpful | Level 5

i have just cancelled my contract and will switch to iCloud. i will not continue to support this bad game.

andrewmatoxy
Helpful | Level 6

18 months since the announcement, and how many years since it became clear this change would be coming? Pathetic.

hahsbdidjeb
New member | Level 2
Oke

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11

Apple will be on to macOS Ventura/ macOS 13 by then. Good luck!

johan watt12
Explorer | Level 3

Greetings, I have been looking for somewhere to read a statement that Dropbox is compatible with macOS 12.3, even though the operating system was released a few weeks ago and is now being replaced by 12.3.1 with zero-day security fixes. This question has been discussed in the past. I have also found several users who have been experiencing significant problems with 12.3 as recently as this morning. However, I have not been able to find any place where Dropbox can claim that 12.3 is actually supported. As of three weeks ago, the most that were said about this product was that it wasn't fully supported yet. As a result, there has been conspicuous silence since then. In reality, the issue is that Apple has finally completely banned the file system extension that Dropbox was using. Apple had promised for years that it would do so. 

Could you please let me know if 12.3 is officially supported? Can you tell me if there are any limitations associated with running Dropbox in 12.3?

catrahal
Helpful | Level 5

The last post on the upgrade for Mac Monterey support was in April (or have I missed something). The latest updates to Monterey, now at 12.5.1, still have issues with Dropbox. It appears, from the analysis that I have had done to my machine, that the slowdowns I am experiencing (beachballing ALL the time and slow open for apps) are linked to Dropbox. Is anyone else having the same issue?

marksc111
Helpful | Level 6
Only for the past 4+ years. It's the Dropbox gold standard of mediocre software we keep coming back for. My solution recently is to revoke Dropbox's login at startup privileges and only launch it now and then to let it sync, then quit the app again. Which is a terrible way to live but better than letting DP waste your Mac's resources...

catrahal
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the tip. I will do that until I get my files moved. I was using Dropbox long before becoming a Mac user. But yes, it may be past time to make the switch.

Need more support?