cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Support for MacOS 10.12

Dropbox support for MacOS 12.3 - can we finally upgrade?

paul20
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I cannot find anywhere anyone saying that Dropbox properly supports MacOS 12.3, even though it was released weeks ago and has now been superseded by 12.3.1 with zero-day fixes.  I can find discussion of this question in the past, and I can find several users having significant problems with 12.3 as recently as this morning (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/High-CPU-Usage-after-updating-MacBook-...), but not anywhere where Dropbox can say that 12.3 is actually supported.  As of 3 weeks ago, the most that was said was that it was not fully supported yet.  Since then there has been a conspicuous silence.  (The issue, of course, is that Apple finally completely banned the file system extension Dropbox was using, per what they had been promising for years.)

Is 12.3 officially supported?  What are the limitations associated with running Dropbox in 12.3, if any?

93 Replies 93

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11

Can anyone post a screenshot of the new version of Dropbox working properly on macos 12.5 and above? I think most of us would like to see it functioning as it should before we upgrade.

Robin FH
Explorer | Level 3

Do I upgrade to 'Dropbox on macOS' as requested/required?  

Whilst it is clear my main iMac Pro will not be affected (OS 14) other than my needing to reorganise files, and my partner's Mac Mini (OS 13) simiarly, my late-2012 MacBook Air can only run 10.13 and yet I frequently need to use synchronised files on that computer as part of my business, especially for presentations.  

If I upgrade, will my MacBook Air still be able to access the synchronised files?  As I am still recovering from Long Covid, my business is only just starting to rebuild and I cannot afford to replace a perfectly serviceable MacBook Air.  Surely, Dropbox recognises that Macs last a long time?  That is one of the reasons I use them!  

If it is the case that my MacBook Air will not be able to access the files, I will sadly have to transfer all file synchronisation to iCloud (which is unaffected by which operating system you use) and end my [paid for] contract with Dropbox as it will no longer serve a purpose.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Robin FH, welcome to our Community! 

Do you wish to upgrade the OS in your MacBook Air, or your Dropbox? 

Keep in mind that the updated Dropbox for macOS app has been developed to adhere to the requirements as set out by Apple therefore this update was introduced to ensure the best possible experience for our Mac users long into the future.

In any case, whether you use an older OS, or a new OS, you should be able to have access to Dropbox, and your content there, as long as the system requirements are met.

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Robin FH
Explorer | Level 3

It is the new Dropbox upgrade.  A late-2012 MacBook Air cannot be upgraded beyond OS 10.12.

I know the files will be safe – I can access them on the other two computers – it is simply whether I will still be able to access them on the MacBook Air.

Thankyou for your help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Robin FH, in order for as long as your device meets the necessary requirements, then yes, you shouldn't have a problem. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

UKD
Experienced | Level 12

Still no official notification that Dropbox is out of Beta yet. Nice to see that @dropbox is working with it's customers to move this forward as soon as possible. God this company has gone to sh*t.

Like everything else in the world at the moment, you will take what we give you and you will continue to pay for sub-standard items and you will like it.

Jtaylor2d
Helpful | Level 5

One of my clients was denied the beta due to too many files in their Dropbox, so it looks like there is another hurdle to get over in regards to the beta being primetime.

UKD
Experienced | Level 12

I've got a massive amount of files, millions, so I'm not risking my Dropbox for a beta.

I cannot believe that they have still not finalised this and released it. It's been so long now and I think most people have given up. By the time they do finally release it proper we'll be on the next macOS, in which case they'll have to write a new version of Dropbox.

UKD
Experienced | Level 12

I finally had to upgrade my OS because I could no longer accept the risk of having an OS so out of date that it represents a major risk to my business. As such I now have to go through the painful process of dealing with Dropbox not automatically syncing files etc etc and at the same time now sucking up all the spare memory and processing power it can. My fans on my laptop have been non stop on all the time and Dropbox constantly says it's syncing, when it shouldn't be. That either tells me it never synced everything before and is therefore uploading new files, or old files I should say, or it's just on a constant cycle and stuck.

I used to love Dropbox. it was such a good piece of software but over the years it's just become bloatware and very akin to Microsoft, where it just builds on top of builds on top of builds on top of builds. I joined the beta programme as I was assured that once I upgraded my macOS I would get a notification to upgrade my Dropbox. Don't believe them. Absolute b*llocks that is. 

I'm at a loss. I've been told the new Dropbox will be out in May. They just keep on delaying this. Obviously the concern for their customers is still [not] there and they'll just keep taking the money.

Tirion2K22
Helpful | Level 6

I switched my dropbox yesterday, it took about 4 hours before it was entirely done checking all the files (about 300k files). Had issues with continuous syncing too even though it wasn't doing anything, but for me it was some background process of dropbox still moving/checking everything. After about 2 additional hours the syncing was finally done, I got a popup from the Dropbox app saying it was done upgrading to the new Dropbox for Mac OS and all has been working fine since. 

I can imagine if you have millions of files that'll need to be checked by the app if they were moved properly, it might take longer for it to really be done syncing etc.

Need more support?