cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Anna R.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So I'm referring to https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

Does this mean it will be 100% safe to upgrade to macOS 12.3 as long as I keep Smart sync to Local, please?

166 Replies 166

afsd
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Megan is there an update on this issue?

I currently have a new Mac, and if there is no timeline yet on when it could be fixed I will consider returning it, but I need to decide that in the next week

afsd
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

And now, over a year later, this sounds like the issue currently present on Mac Dropbox with using "online" files, because it uses kernel extensions that Apple have stopped supporting in latest versions of OSX. 

In reply to:

faebe
‎07-05-2021 07:13 AM

I'd like to extend this request to discontinue using deprecated kernel extensions and instead base the new version on Apple’s new File Provider framework for MacOS:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/fileprovider 

Microsoft recently announced a similar move for OneDrive:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/microsoft-works-to-ensure-a-great-one...

and:

gmon750
Explorer | Level 3

‎12-01-2021 05:35 PM

I will say this... I will be purchasing a new Macbook in 1st-quarter 2022.  As a loyal Dropbox user for 10 years, this is the first time I'm considering jettisoning Dropbox if they don't provide native support for Apple Silicon.

Get your app updated and away from kernel extensions.  Considering the size of your company, I find it disturbing that so little resources are allocated to keeping your software current.  This is the kind of thinking usually applied to failing companies.

Marc A.6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@afsd dropbox is a morally bankrupt company and its CEO has shown again and again that they don't care about Mac users - the very ones that propelled the service to stardom.

afsd
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Marc A.6

Yes finding this thread was quite disheartening. Although I was initially thinking of returning the new Mac I bought because it wasn't working with Dropbox, now I am thinking I will leave DropBox instead and keep the Mac.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @afsd, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in. 

I totally understand where you’re coming from. 

As @Megan mentioned above, the general rollout for full support on macOS 12.5 and higher will start in November. There’s not an exact timeline we can provide at the moment though, I’m afraid.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello Nancy, @afsd@Megan

So, if I understand correctly, the problem with Mac OS will be thoroughly solved by the end of November, and those of us who have been stuck in Mac OS 12.2 and the old version of Dropbox, will be able to update the Mac and Dropbox, and recover the full functions of Dropbox like before?

On the users end, what needs to be done and when?

Thank you for your help!

Catherine Bonargent

sphen
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

that is my understanding yes - we are still waiting.

until the new version is released or dropbox outlines a doc that shows us the user experience for the migration to the cloudstorage container i am not sure what the user experience will be like. once again - very little communication.

jeff w.44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Nancy  it's almost November....I'd hope there'd be a timeline at this point.

Pokapix
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
This should have been a top priority to solve and release — I’ve already been forced due for this to change to Microsoft solutions while collaborating with clients, because they gave up on you Dropbox…

At least this will solve my issue, but this is really unprofessional to yet again great Mac users to badly.

One last question, will it work on macOS Ventura?

sphen
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

The changes in Ventura should not affect dropbox as far as i know. The major change Dropbox is working on is moving to the new cloud storage container.

Need more support?