cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problem using smart sync and adobe softwares

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Anna R.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So I'm referring to https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

Does this mean it will be 100% safe to upgrade to macOS 12.3 as long as I keep Smart sync to Local, please?

166 Replies 166

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello@rfog — could you be a little more precise, i.e. "new installations" of Dropbox? Is it necessary to reinstall Dropbox from scratch at some point? I didn't do this when updating macOs and Dropbox still "works" the same way. I'm apparently at version v164.4.7914.

Also, "asked to enable the last version" means what exactly—the last version of Dropbox?

Thanks for your patience !

rfog
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@cbonargent  both versions are the same, 164.4.7914, but it restarted before start updating, then I assumed it did some internal stuff that needed restart, like drop some extensions or uncompress a different executable. Not sure. 

From Dropbox documentation, it says it will be "automagically" enabled by batches, then perhaps yours in at doors to do it. Really don't know if a new installation will enable it, and if it is per user or per installation, as I hadn't any Dropbox installed in my Macs (I removed them due not having the "on demand" or whatever it is called), but installed in a Mac to sync something between my NAS and Dropbox and voila, it asked for it.

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@rfog Thanks for the clarification! I only updated to os12.6.2 for the moment, like @johnhalldesign, because I couldn't continue to remain stuck in 12.2 for another year. I have no idea if my data has been "moved". Otherwise, the Smartsync does not function with 3rd party apps as anticipated. For the continual back-up of all my devices however, it seems to be fine for the moment.

rfog
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

This is not working well. After update, now double click on a PDF says it cannot be opened because developer is unidentified (it is a PDF!!!!) and then shows a -128 error. Some other files does not open. Simply flashes and do not open. DOCX files are opened in Safari instead of installed World, and a third iMac is not offering the change, then I cannot run that with DEVONthink. 

But the main problem is any file is being opened once the Dropbox app is updated. This closes my last try to have Dropbox. My renew is this next march and I'm going to disable it. 

In the meantime, I will try to have working Mac one more time. I expect not have to reinstall macOS due this cr*p.

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

You might try a chat at 
https://www.dropbox.com/support

When I had lots of questions I was connected to someone (real person) almost immediately who helped me understand and stayed as long as it took.

Hope this helps!

rfog
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@cbonargent Thanks for your worry, but I pass. I'm tired of this. 

jparet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is just... wow...

Beyond belief.

rfog
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I have been in contact with a  very senior macOS developer, not related to Apple nor Dropbox, and he says that implement the cloud the way Apple has defined is not easy, and he adds that there isn't any company that is doing it as Apple documentation says, because they don't want by any reason or simply they don't know how to do it. Said that, I really doubt Dropbox still has some macOS seniors developers anymore, and that is the most important problem.

I got notified to activate the new on-demand or whatever it is called, I enabled it and caos started. Once it finished to do it job, not any document opened anymore from finder with double click, not only the ones inside Dropbox folder but ANY other document did. It seems Dropbox app takes control to open absolutely all document types and then it fails to redirect to the desired application, you can see it right clicking and seeing how all files are linked to Dropbox.

And worse than that, Dropbox remains "searching for changes" forever, plus very slow in download under demand, and confusing iconology... 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi everyone,

In case you have not seen the update on the availability of full support for macOS 12.5 and higher, we’re continuing to expand our rollout through May 2023, and anyone interested in receiving this updated experience earlier can join our beta now.

When you’re eligible, you’ll receive a notification from the Dropbox icon in your menu bar. In most cases, you can expect to receive the updated version of Dropbox for macOS by the end of May 2023. 

Here’s how you can join our beta:
  • Basic, Plus, Professional, and Family plan customers: Turn on early releases and keep an eye out for a notification to opt-in
  • Standard, Advanced, Enterprise, and Education customers: Contact your Account Team or Customer Support for more information

The updated experience is more integrated with macOS and comes with some changes that are consistent with macOS requirements. For more information, please visit our Help Center.

Thank you.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rfog
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Quite interesting the limit on 300K files. You offer 2TB, but can't have more than 300K or you will have issues. 

Now I understand my issues with the "new way" and my near 1 million files. 

Need more support?