cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Anna R.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So I'm referring to https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

Does this mean it will be 100% safe to upgrade to macOS 12.3 as long as I keep Smart sync to Local, please?

166 Replies 166

Pokapix
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It took you ages to respond to your customers and now we're getting basically a worse service as a result for the same price (until inflation hits it), the change log list is not a nice read! 
https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

So you're promising users with more than 300k files worse sync speed, no lan sync solution and the list goes on... 

nicetriangle
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As I understand it, it's not even possible on the dropbox app or website to tell how many files you have in your dropbox account. I've been through multiple forum posts about it and it's not something you can even do unless every single file is synced locally to your computer and you then do it with your system's file browser. Part of why I even have Dropbox is so I can offload files I can't fit on a local drive. Especially older archive material I don't need on a regular basis. So like how in world are we even able to know whether we have 300k files?

Further, it looks like the only way to tell if we can get the dropbox version that supposedly fully supports selective sync is updating to the version of MacOS that breaks said feature on the older version of Dropbox. And now you're telling us rollout will not be fully complete until May (and let's acknowledge how many times you've lied about timelines at this point so I'll be taking that with a huge grain of salt if you don't mind).

So basically I can wait until whenever it's fully clear (May of 2023? MAYBE!) that support for this has been rolled out to everyone and continue to use an outdated version of MacOS until that time or I can upgrade MacOS now and likely have the feature broken until you guys get your act together.

This company is ridiculous.

em7yn
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why is this thread marked as solved?

Dropbox on MacOS 12.3 + isn't a viable solution for any business right now.

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@em7yn  I have to agree. I'm using the version v168.4.4802  with OS 12.6.2 and it's a mess. There seems to be difficult or no access to third-party apps. So I guess it is just backing up my files, nothing more.

Has anyone moved on the the new, latest version Dropbox with OS 13 ?
There seem to be even more problems:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

When I read that, I decided to wait—again! So I don't know if it is worse or not.

Thanks all for any feedback!

alextsnet
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The "old" Dropbox is working just fine on my M1 Air and M1 Minis on 13.2.1 - My 10.15.7 Mac Pro has Dropbox on an external drive.

Does anyone know when I'll *HAVE* to update? Can I ignore the notification forever since sync is fine across all platforms (including Windows)?

I've forgotten more than Dropbox seems to know about "fixing what isn't broken."

ddadda
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I would prefer not to go through the whole rigamarole of moving my large Dropbox folder (with many subfolders) into ~/Library/whatever...  Can I get away with neglecting the update? I'm running the latest Ventura, on Apple Silicon and everything is fine.  My only use for Dropbox is sync-ing my two computers (and phone) with a small folder dedicated to sharing with my wife.  

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

At some point, no, it will become an enforced change due to restrictions that Apple have put in place. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ddadda
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm updated to Ventura on Apple Silicon.  Can I get away with NOT updating to the latest dropbox (despite the little message there asking me to) and so leave all my files where they are.  Is something going to happen if I don't update Dropbox? It's working fine at the moment.

rs1970
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It really feels like Dropbox is underinvesting in the MacOS platform: not keeping up with MacOS-level security changes, being super late in migrating to Apple Silicon, leaving unresolved long-time issues like slow sync when restoring a Dropbox, etc.

In the mean time, Dropbox seems to be obsessed on upselling me new products that I did not ask for and do not need, such as e-signatures, etc.

If there was a simple way to migrate to another file syncing app, I would do it for our entire office. But it also seems that Google Drive has problems and Microsoft One Drive is… well… Microsoft.

rfog
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@rs1970, once Dropbox didn't fulfill their own promises, in addition how "well" work latest versions, I started using Synology Drive Client based in my Synology NAS, and, surprisingly, I had no problem, specifically no 100K limit files, incredibly fast syncing etc.. The only handicap is you need a Synology NAS with SSD cache disks and that combination is not cheap, but I had it and needed $0 of investment. 

Need more support?