cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox App on Mac not opening

Lyralina
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox installer fails, saying "The installer could not connect to the Internet. Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet and your firewall allows DropboxUpdate.exe to connect then try again".

But there's internet because I'm able to browse the internet just fine. I have Windows 11 Home 64bit. 

So I tried installing using the Dropbox offline installer. I was able to install Dropbox, but when I try to start it, it still says "No internet connection. Your computer is currently offline. Please check your network settings."

Again, there is internet because I'm able to write this. Any ideas?

I only have Windows Defender now, but I used to have free trial of Mcafee that came with the computer but uninstalled it. I think it might be related?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sam DBX
Community Manager
Go to solution
Hi everyone,

I want to go through some of the main reasons you might be seeing the "No internet connection. Your computer is currently offline. Please check your network settings” message, and how you can fix it.

Why are you getting this message?

The most likely reason is that there is another app installed on your device or network that is trying to intercept Dropbox's traffic. You may also see this message if you’re on our Basic plan, and have already already signed into three devices — more info on this here

How can you resolve it? 

• If your computer is on a work network, we’d recommend checking the permissions with your IT staff.

• Update your software and operating system, as these updates often include patches for known vulnerabilities, and fix bugs and glitches that can lead to crashes or system instability.

These are the two common triggers for this message (that we’ve seen so far)! And as always, if you need further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks,
Sam 

View solution in original post

100 Replies 100

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Lyralina, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you temporarily disable any antivirus or firewalls you may have running on your computer and try again?

If you still get the same results, please send us a screenshot so that we can have a visual too.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Lyralina
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I turned Anti-virus, Firewall off and it's still showing the same error. Can't even start Dropbox.Screenshot 2023-01-05 174945.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear this persists @Lyralina 

Is the desktop app's icon showing up in your system tray at all? 

Could you try the offline installer from this page one more time for me and let me know how it goes?  

Also, if you happen to be on the Basic plan, make sure that you have no more than 3 connected devices to your account as you might be hitting the device limit

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

robert1881
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

whenever I try to open the Dropbox app, it give me an error "No internet connection: Your computer is currently offline.  Please check your network settings".  I've tried un-installing, then re-installing the app, no luck.  The app was opening earlier, but when it was having some sync problems, I signed out then back in......thats when the app no longer would load at all.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @robert1881, sorry to hear about this.

Have you ensured that isn't caused by an antivirus or firewall you're using on your computer?

If you did, please send us a screenshot of the error you may be getting so that we can have a visual too. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Lyralina
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Actually, since 1 month ago, I wasn't able to sync on dropbox on this laptop but my other laptop works fine with the same Wifi. It was stuck on syncing files. So I decided to reinstall everything.

Now after installing using the offline Dropbox installer again but instantly, the message said "No internet connection" again.

The laptop the dropbox icon now appears on the system tray, but it's still stuck at "Starting" and "connecting". I clicked "Signin" but nothing happens.

I'm not hitting the 3 device limit. I set it to No proxies ,deactivated Firewall, antivirus (Windows Defender) etc.

I even tried netsh winsock reset from CMD but Dropbox still doesn't work

robert1881
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Lyralina

This sounds like exactly what is happening with mine too.

Lyralina
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yeah, uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting, etc. doesn’t work. Even changed wifi but that didn’t work either. There’s plenty of hard disk drive. I use Windows 11 Home. Now I can’t use Dropbox on my laptop. 

robert1881
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Walter

no, I am not at my 3 limit (just desktop Mac mini & iPhone devices)

I tried downloading the offline Dropbox app, but after the download ran, I didn't see any different app to open.

Yes, the icon is showing up in my system tray, but is says "no internet connection" & still continually says "starting".  I obviously have an internet connection if I'm able to get on the Dropbox website & reply back to these messages.  

Any other tips?

ThanksScreen Shot 2023-01-08 at 8.20.08 PM.png

Robert

Need more support?