cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox v164.4.7914 and Ventura 13.1 Missing Dropbox Context Menu

Dropbox v164.4.7914 and Ventura 13.1 Missing Dropbox Context Menu

mascotca
Explorer | Level 4
BACKGROUND:
I wanted to test Ventura. 

After a Clean Install of Ventura 13.1 to a virgin External Samsung Portable SSD (using Migration Assistant to transport all data from my Internal drive's Big Sur installation):  all my software seems to work BUT Dropbox is confusing me. From the forum discussions I have tried to navigate it seems that I should have the same functionality but I don't.

I had set Dropbox to Offline Only (which is how I had made sure the Big Sur was set up, prior to this Ventura experiment).

PROBLEMS:
- Some Folders and Files are still online.
- There are NO status indicators! (green checkmarks, clouds, clouds with a down arrow etc.)
- If I right click on a file NONE of the previous context menu for Dropbox items show up. So I can't take anything offline. Can't share a file etc.
- The file size column is the only way I know if something is Online vs. Offline (i.e. "Zero bytes")
- If I double click an offline file it will download from Dropbox and Zero bytes changes and I can open the file.
- This even works in my Boxcryptor folder for stuff on Dropbox. Files are viewable in the finder and can be opened.

QUESTIONS:
Is Dropbox v. 164.4.7914 (apparently the latest and what my Dropbox IDs itself as) supposed to work with Ventura 13.1 like this or not?

- I don't know how to take the Online versions of files and folder OFFline. (Revised this, had it backwards in orig post.)
- Don't know how to share anything from the Dropbox finder window etc.
- I.E. What happened to the Dropbox Finder Right Click Context options?

Please advise and TIA, 

11 Replies 11

mascotca
Explorer | Level 4

Here are screen grabs of the difference between Big Sur 11.7.2 and Ventura 13.1

NOTE: I SWEAR I took all files offline in Big Sur two days ago prior to the Migration to Ventura and yet now in Big Sur you can see the same items (ex. 20Gb Liberated folder at the top) are back somehow. Weird. 

Anyway back to the screen grabs:

Big Sur Dropbox Explorer Window:

Big Sur Dropbox Explorer window.jpg

Ventura Dropbox Explorer Window:

Ventura Dropbox Explorer Window.jpg

Big Sur Dropbox Context Menu:

Big Sur Dropbox Context Menu.jpg

Ventura Dropbox Context Menu:

Ventura Dropbox Context Menu.jpg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mascotca, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It seems like the Dropbox desktop application might not be running, since the Dropbox folder doesn't have an icon on it. Do you see the app running in the menu bar, and what status does it have when you hover over the icon?

Could you also check to see if the Dropbox folder has moved to the CloudStorage location, and not in the Favorites section?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mascotca
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jay:

- The Dropbox icon IS in the menu bar. Not sure what you meant by "the Dropbox folder doesn't have an icon on it."

- Hovering over it indicates v. 165.4.4300 and is "Up to Date" (looks like it's updated itself since my original post, which said 164.4.7914) 

- Also if I actually click once on it at the bottom of the window it says "Your files are up to date" as well.

Re Your Final Question:

- The Dropbox folder is at the top of my Favorites in the sidebar.

- I don't know what "the CloudStorage location" is exactly. Searching the entire Mac for that term doesn't show any such location, just some mentions in various PDFs.

Plus:

- I checked to see if the Dropbox updated version had fixed these problems but there is no change.

- I noticed another poster's thread where eventually the file/folder status indicators started to show up, completing over the course of a day or two in his case.

- But I don't think he complained of no Dropbox Content Menu like me.

- Anyway, no indicators have changed to date and like I said, the Context Menu still has no Dropbox choices.

PS Thanks for smearing my folder names up on the screen grabs! I forgot.

TIA again, very much, 

mascotca
Explorer | Level 4

Update:

- I figured out where CloudStorage is and it only has OneDrive in it. NOT the Dropbox folder.

- the Dropbox folder is where it has always been inside my users\username folder.

mascotca
Explorer | Level 4

If I uninstall Dropbox and then re-install, will this:

- Move the Dropbox Folder to CloudStorage?

- Automatically make the currently online items into offline ones?

- Restore my Context folder functionality?

Do I have to do what you call elsewhere an "advanced Dropbox re-install?"

mascotca
Explorer | Level 4

Couldn't wait. Followed instructions in link in last post re "advanced Dropbox reinstall."

After quitting Dropbox and all programs that might be using it, dragging to trash, emptying trash, restarting I opened Terminal and successfully copied and pasted the 1st line of the advised entries. Then -

Stuck in terminal on the second command:

- Took me a while to write the correct alternative location that Dropbox folder has been in.

- When I got that location accepted i.e. when Terminal stopped responding only with "No such file or directory" I thought it would work but than got several lines of individual files in the Dropbox folder all ending in "Operation not permitted." 

-After six of those it went back to the standard prompt.

Please see following attached and tell me what I have wrong. (Sorry I am not great with Terminal):

Last login: Sun Jan 15 09:37:34 on console

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

Password:

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown -R "$USER" ~//Users/tempscott/Dropbox 

chown: /Users/tempscott//Users/tempscott/Dropbox: No such file or directory

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/VenturaCleanInstall 2nd/Users/tempscott/Dropbox 

chown: /Users/tempscott/VenturaCleanInstall: No such file or directory

chown: 2nd/Users/tempscott/Dropbox: No such file or directory

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/VenturaCleanIstall2nd/Users/tempscott/Dropbox 

chown: /Users/tempscott/VenturaCleanIstall2nd/Users/tempscott/Dropbox: No such file or directory

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/"/Users/tempscott/Dropbox" 

chown: /Users/tempscott//Users/tempscott/Dropbox: No such file or directory

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown -R "$USER" "/VenturaCleanInstall2nd/Users/tempscott/Dropbox" 

chown: /VenturaCleanInstall2nd/Users/tempscott/Dropbox: No such file or directory

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown -R "$USER" "//Users/tempscott/Dropbox"

chown: //Users/tempscott/Dropbox/PORCH TORTURE/RECEIPTS/2022-05-26 Jaeger Lumber Pyramid Cap.pdf: Operation not permitted

chown: //Users/tempscott/Dropbox/PORCH TORTURE/RECEIPTS/2022-06-03 Home Depot Kitchen Window Repair.pdf: Operation not permitted

chown: //Users/tempscott/Dropbox/PORCH TORTURE/RECEIPTS/2022-05-27 JAEGER LUMBER DEPOSIT ON 1:2 OF AERATIS.pdf: Operation not permitted

chown: //Users/tempscott/Dropbox/PORCH TORTURE/RECEIPTS/2022-06-03Jaeger Lumber Screws & Plugs.pdf: Operation not permitted

chown: //Users/tempscott/Dropbox/PORCH TORTURE/RECEIPTS/2022-06-03Jaeger Lumber Rear Deck Tops.pdf: Operation not permitted

chown: //Users/tempscott/Dropbox/PORCH TORTURE/2022-05-23 ALL DOCS COLLECTED/SIGNED CONTRACTS/2021-09-29 Q&R Contract Signed.pdf: Operation not permitted

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % exit

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you clarify the exact line you used when doing the second terminal command, to enter the correct location of the Dropbox folder?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mascotca
Explorer | Level 4

My last post contained the entire Terminal Session and if I cut and paste from where it stopped throwing the "No such file or directory" errors and finally accepted my line it would be this one (which is the second item on the list of Terminal commands to be input one at a time in your website's instructions at the"advanced Dropbox re-install" page):

tempscott@Temps-iMac ~ % sudo chown -R "$USER" "//Users/tempscott/Dropbox"

BUT as you can see above it then threw six times an additional error "Operation not permitted" for 6 different files that are in the Dropbox folder: 5 from one subdirectory and the last from another sub-directory.

Then it stopped and just went back to the tempscott@Temps-iMac _ % prompt.

mascotca
Explorer | Level 4

For people following along here is the context from the instructions on the "Dropbox re-install page"

(Ignore the 1.1 it's actually "4" in the original but it is getting changed for some HTML error reason by the,  what, Parser(?) here...)

• Important: We assume that your Dropbox folder is in the default pathway. If you have placed your Dropbox folder in a custom location, replace all ~/Dropbox with the full location of your Dropbox folder in quotation marks. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path /Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox, you need to replace ~/Dropbox from the following instructions to "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox".
sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"
sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox
sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox
sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old
sudo chmod -N ~
sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mascotca Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?